PDA

View Full Version : Windows update

lilrayray77
08-03-2006, 02:33 PM
Hi all, I have been reading more and more about how "dangerous" windows updates can be. One my computer just downloaded is called "Windows Genuine Advantage Notification". I bought my computer at dell so I dont think I have to worry about not having a ligit version of windows, but just to be sure, do my fellow lightwavers think I should install this update?

Mr_Bester
08-03-2006, 02:36 PM
You can, but it eats up resources. If I'm not mistaken, it continually checks even after the first run in order to "notify" you of an illegitimate version.
Dug

Silkrooster
08-03-2006, 07:36 PM
It is dangerous not to do windows updates. You need to stay ahead of the morons that love to screw with other peoples computers.
I don't know if you know it or not, but every time you update any Microsoft program, you must run the Windows Genuine Advantage Notification program, or else you can't upgrade. To my knowledge this program only runs once, right before you do an upgrade. But then again I could be wrong about that.
Silk

iconoclasty
08-03-2006, 08:53 PM
With the last laptop I bought from Dell the first thing I did was run Win updates. Which promtly caused the computer to crash constantly. After talking to Dell they told me that they "do not support third party software" that included Windows updates. The tech suggested I never update. Contrary to what Silk suggests, not having the Genuine advantage update only stops you from updating manually from the MS website. Automatic updates still work fine.

Personally, I update my desktop, but only the updates I want. Just remember Golden Rule #1 Never trust Microsoft.