PDA

View Full Version : How does cross application workflow work?

markjores
08-03-2006, 03:39 AM
Reading about cross application workflow on major animation projects, I frequently see companies explaining that they would model & animate in Lightwave, render in Maya - or in a 3rd party renderer like Renderman, or some other permutation.

I do all my modeling & animating in the same package (Lightwave) & was wondering how you export whole scenes from one program when you have already setup the camera moves - character animations with IK & lighting etc - to the other package for rendering? Is it seamless or do you have to correct/ redo everything again in the other package using the original setup as a guide only?

I can understand the export/ import of models but how do you export/import a scene?

Red_Oddity
08-03-2006, 08:49 AM
OBJs, Point Oven is probably a must when doing more with character animation (gonna buy this one soon myself) and lots and lots of custom scripts, and lots and lots and lots of trial and error.

private
08-03-2006, 08:53 AM
Reading about cross application workflow on major animation projects, I frequently see companies explaining that they would model & animate in Lightwave, render in Maya - or in a 3rd party renderer like Renderman, or some other permutation.

I do all my modeling & animating in the same package (Lightwave) & was wondering how you export whole scenes from one program when you have already setup the camera moves - character animations with IK & lighting etc - to the other package for rendering? Is it seamless or do you have to correct/ redo everything again in the other package using the original setup as a guide only?

I can understand the export/ import of models but how do you export/import a scene?

1. I think you meant many model and render in Lightwave. :)
2. Point oven.
3. Jay, can't wait for the character animation rehaul!

Dodgy
08-03-2006, 09:05 AM
It's fairly straightforward to model and texture in LW, then send that over to Maya, via the .obj format (with my mtl material exporter for LW). Getting it back to LW for rendering is the main problem. However, there's the Beaver project which is free I think which will most of the work for you.

Edit: no it's not free, look here for more details:http://www.thebeaverproject.com/

Cageman
08-03-2006, 12:43 PM
Transfer stuff from Maya to LW is pretty easy with Maya2LW2. What it does is that it bakes vertex-data to a file which then is converted into an MDD-file which you apply to the object in LightWave. A good thing to do when starting this type of project is to plan ahed. You don't want to bake 50.000 vertices. Using LW:s subd, you can export the unpatched object to maya, rig, animate, bake the vertices, use the exported mdd with your original LW-object, which is subpatched and ready for rendering. For this process to work, you need to use the supplied OBJ-exporter or MA-exporter. This is because the pointorder can be mixed up using the standard obj-exporter (NOTE: This only applies IF you want to use the original, subpatched LWO for final rendering). When you bake from Maya, you can also export the object(s) to OBJ and use those when rendering in LW.

EDIT: Maya2LW2 is freeware...

http://thespread.ghostoutpost.com/Maya2LW2.html

Titus
08-03-2006, 01:01 PM
This guy has a blog describing his experience translating animation from Maya to LW:

http://www.astrofra.com/weblog/