PDA

View Full Version : Wanted new features list

Joril
02-07-2003, 10:34 PM
Proton put this up back at CGtalk.
I thought I'd take the liberty of posting it here.
There's alot of intersting features in that list, care to add to it or make some comments? Or even highlight what MUST be implemented?
Check it out.
http://idd02mb7.eresmas.net/Misc/LW-8_wishes.htm

Memz
02-07-2003, 10:38 PM
Whoa thats long. Nice list though. Looks pretty suitable. I would also like a new design. Maybe more graphical. Kind of like Windows XP was over traditional windows platforms. I think a good program will not only be good but look good as well. :)

Joril
02-07-2003, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by Memz
Kind of like Windows XP was over traditional windows platforms. I think a good program will not only be good but look good as well. :)

Hmmm, you like the new XP theme? I think it was Microsoft trying to make a graphically appealing gui to match up to OSX's look. Not very creative, considering what they turned up with. And I think the look of windows will change again with the next version.
If I get an XP computer in front of me I put the UI back to classic.
Also I think performance should go above looks.

Anyway.
The GUI-change LW had from LW5 to LW6 was quite good, I don't think it needs much change in looks. Maybe just some reorganisation to improve the workflow.
Oh, and an interactive GUI-Colourchanger :)

wgreenlee1
02-08-2003, 12:13 AM
This is the one I like:

8.- Fully integrated Aura 2.5 as another included module, so we could have our own "Lightwave Paint", improving it with a new set of brushes such as those found in Z-Brush (or Maya Paint Effects), that would allow to paint grass, plants and similar effects. So we now might have our 4th mode, "Lightwave Paint" having also a Viewport, or several, with the UV maps in our project, so we can texturize them, also any other kind of map like Clip, Displacement, etc...

Memz
02-08-2003, 01:34 AM
Well, everyone has their own opinions. I actually like the stlye of LightwaveX.. I can't remember who does that. Saw it on these boards. Thats what I would like. Or a skin chooser. Where you could switch in between different layouts.

Elmar Moelzer
02-08-2003, 05:03 AM
I like the idea of skins.
The VTNT2 is skin- based AFAIK and so it should not be too hard for NT to take over that technology, it would require a complete rewrite though...
NT should give a few different with it though 8one with the calssic LW 5.6- look i.e.) as I will certainly not have the time to make my own. I also ask myself how the plugin- interfaces will work with that...
Other than that I would really like to add better OpenGL- previews and a procedural object- plugin- class for Layout (I did not see these two in that list, but it is so long that I may have overread them)
CU
Elmar

riki
02-08-2003, 07:12 PM
There's a lot of good stuff in that list, I hope that some of can be implemented.

isnowboard
02-09-2003, 06:57 AM
Wanted: full customization of hotkeys on the keyboard, no limitations.

MrWyatt
02-11-2003, 05:34 AM
I hope Newtek listens to their users in the first place, but on the other hand, why would they put a feature request forum topic if they werent listening. I just wonder why I donīt see noumerous replies from moderators, tech support peoples and other newtek staff members who actually say something about the requests. Hey Peoples at Newtek, you could at least give us a hint of wich requests are possible and which ones will never ever happen. Pleeeeeease!!!!
:confused:

Jimzip
02-11-2003, 06:16 AM
I wish people would give up on the idea of merging the programs. They are fine the way they are, if NT merges them they will become as slow, clunky, confusing and as irritable as many other 3D applications.

I really like the idea of Lightwave paint, that would be awesome. I've been saying it for a while now, I'm glad a few other people think the same way!:D

Some of those things were a little over the top, but overall, I think people have picked the main trouble spots, or difficulty spots as it turns out..
Implementing even half of these things would make Lightwave an absolutely awesome program, (if you don't already think it is).

I do think Lightwave has a few things to catch up on though, dynamics especially, rigid!! Soft!! and particle!!! dynamics are falling behind other software apps and really need a rewrite (i.e motion-designer).
Anyway, that's just my view, like you said, they're all different.

Jimzip:cool:

jin choung
02-12-2003, 01:05 AM
1- EDGES EDGES EDGES for EVERYTHING EVERYTHING EVERYTHING

1a. vert, EDGE, pol, incl, excl - selection options
1b. editing tools like add, delete, collapse, etc.
1c. EDGE MAP - phong smoothing REMOVED FROM SURFACE!!!
1c. EDGE MAP - hardening/softening sds.

2 - no distortion uv mapping for SDS models. this with feature 1c will really make sds as robust a geometry type in lw as polys. (yes, we do have a real workaround for it now though... until that day....)

3 - snap to VISIBLE grid!!! and a grid that can be FIXED (if desired!!!)

4 - robust snap/align tools in LAYOUT!!! for complex models, the PARTS should actually stay orthogonal and centered in MODELER for the sake of texturing/modification.

5 - a newtek.com request - a MODERATED LIST OF FEATURE REQUESTS!!!

so, requests are regularly compiled and there are checkmarks next to each one:

ACKNOWLEDGED AND DENIED
DONE

of course, the fact that a request has been listed on this moderated list means that it has been acknowledged.

this way, we can keep a running tally and keep us all from being broken records....

jin

feckit
02-16-2003, 04:44 AM
The basic message of that huge list of wants was 'Take almost every plugin available, and include it in LW8 for free.'
Not very likely, I'd imagine.

Freak
02-16-2003, 06:20 PM
CIM: Wrote

If ppl. want SSS, better skies, and better animation tools, Newtek (well, Luxology actually) needs to step up and actually develop something for a change.

Luxology Hahahaherheheh.....

Why would i want a company, that has left the majority of LW users in the lurch, to fix, add or design anything?

Screw me once shame on you, Screw me twice shame on me!...

Peebler has already screwed the LW community once...
I for one, hope he does not get the chance, to do it twice...

Yep there are a few talented people over at Lux.....
And their are more than enough hack Presidents too...

The only thing that Lux has shown is that they are capable of running and hiding, and leaving others to clean up their mess.

They are also pretty good, at confusing the community, and talking a lot of crap.

Remember they are making training materials for LW....
And they are releasing a NEW Web innovation in 2002

Yep, thats really the direction i'm looking forward to, in the future.

If Mecca ever sees the light of day, i'll judge it on it's merits.
However, from the previous capablilites of the people in charge.
I'm not hoping, expecting or even wanting anything from Lux.

I'd be quite happy to to watch them fall flat!
I'm an elephant who never forgets.....