PDA

View Full Version : Grainy logo

mcclell
08-02-2006, 08:12 PM
Thanks for looking,

I'm using lightwave [8], in layout I've this logo I'm making when suddenly I open up the next day and render and scream! I was looking for a shiny metal surface but it ended up a very 'grainy' surface, like you can see individual pixels, just like monochromatic noise was applied to parts of my finished render. A .jpg is attached to this thread.
I ve had a noisy render like this before, when I had a similarly flat reflective, golden, beveled logo, however ive turned off this one's surface reflection to eliminate the possibility that this could deal with reflection. I've read that big white bible and it told me that on page 32.32, checking shading noise reduction to reducegrainy shading in diffuse objects from linear and area lights and radiosity errors. However i've no such lights and radiosity is off, also I thought it could be an ambient lighting problem, however in the global illumination tab, ive' turned ambient light to 0% If anyone has made a metalic logo in the past and has had the same problem please tell me what you did to fix it or if you think you know a solution. The thing is that you have to know what your looking for in that big white bible, even that catagory of the problem helps greatly. In the image attached it may not appear as if all surfaces are affected, but i know that it is just the angle of the photo that defines which surfaces are affected.

thanx again

THREEL
08-02-2006, 10:05 PM
Just a thought. Did you save the object (s) after you did your surfacing in Layout? If you didn't, you lost any of the changes you made to the surface (s) you manipulated there. Also, is there any chance you could have accidently did an autosizing or added another texture?

Other then that, I'm not sure.:D

Karmacop
08-02-2006, 10:57 PM
It looks like you may have overlapping polygons or you may have a gradient that goes into negative reflection.

kruemel_1
08-02-2006, 11:05 PM
Check if you have double poly's. If one poly occupies exact the same place of another (copy and past without moving) it may cause this appearance.

Edit: too late

katsh
08-02-2006, 11:44 PM
Edit: too late

haha. made me short laugh.

mcclell
08-03-2006, 12:53 AM
Problem solved:
Thanks alot guys, as it turns out somehow the entire object had been copied and pasted directly ontop of itself. Yep wouldn't have thought of that...If you click once on a polygon in perspective mode, it doesn't say 2 selected, it says one. The only way you could tell that there were two there was to hit 'w' and realize yuo had TWICE as many. So I read what you guys said and tried deleting one of the surface polygons and it apeared indifferent to the delete. Thanks guys for your help, some things youv'e just got to know from experience. And thanks again for being so quick to help.

"...phew!.."

Karmacop
08-03-2006, 01:51 AM
Selecting in the solid view wont work because it only selects the closest polygon. However if you selected the polygon in a wireframe view (clickign on the edge) it would have selected both bolygons.

katsh
08-21-2006, 03:01 AM
hi,
im under a same problem now.
my asking is how u delete overlapped porigons?

Lightwolf
08-21-2006, 03:57 AM
If the polygons share the same vertices, and have the same surface name and point in the same direction... Unify Polygons will remove duplicates.

Cheers,
Mikek

katsh
08-21-2006, 05:38 AM
oh! it works!

thanx dude!

Lightwolf
08-21-2006, 05:41 AM
oh! it works!

thanx dude!
You're welcome! (and I'm not going to tell you for how many years this has been a part of Modeler ;) ).

Cheers,
Mike

ShawnStovall
08-23-2006, 07:12 PM
Did you have any AA on that render? It looks very pixilized.