PDA

View Full Version : Smoothing Render Error

Alliante
08-02-2006, 03:42 PM
Firstly, I'm sorry about the huge picture, but I wanted to be thorough. I've done a search for similar issues people have done one of the biggest ones was merge points on the boolean created (which I have done).

Since Lightwave 9 has been released, I've decided to start one of my projects, and already I'm getting a few newbie stumbling blocks while modeling.

Notice the smoothing error around the 'torpedo ports' of this very early model.

How can I fix this?

Thanks!
Jeff

FredyN
08-02-2006, 04:19 PM
Try to tripple the bad polygons

loki74
08-02-2006, 04:23 PM
Yes, killing the ngons is the solution. Tripling would do the trick, but it may give rise to other artifacts, specifically, you will probably get creasing if you enable subd's. The best solution would definately be to change the topology/polygon flow of the surface with the torpedo holes in mind...

Alliante
08-02-2006, 04:36 PM
Tripiling actually showed me the smoothing error that I assume that Lightwave was using internally.

I'll see what I can do about trying to model the ports manually instead of trying a Boolean.

Thank you,
Jeff

connerh
08-02-2006, 07:13 PM
Booleons on nonplanars/highly distorted faces has always produced bad results, it's just the nature of the beast. Normally, if you go in and hand correct the results, trying to stick to quads, you'll get the best results. However, you could also try CC patching it...

Alliante
08-02-2006, 10:22 PM
Hmmm looks like I might have to rebuild that whole lower section, triple it and re-bool the tubes.

Would this produce the same results?

connerh
08-02-2006, 10:57 PM
triple before the booleon would produce different results. Personally, what I normally do is to use the stencil option and then use multishift to create an edge bevel transition, which usually takes care of the smoothing issues.