PDA

View Full Version : Command line LWSN not working in LW9

Scott Gammans
08-02-2006, 11:11 AM
I am having no luck getting lwsn.exe (the command-line version of screamernet) to work correctly in LightWave 9 with Matt Gorner's tutorial (http://www.newtek-europe.com/Stuff/LightWave/Misc/MattGorner_ScreamerNet_Tutorial.pdf). The same steps for LW8 worked great, but lwsn.exe in LW9 refuses to write any output file (and no, I'm not getting any error message say that the image handler plugin didn't load).

Has anyone gotten this to work with LW9 yet??

Scott Gammans
08-02-2006, 01:32 PM
OK, I found the problem, but I don't know if this is a LW9 issue or a Windows XP SP2 issue (I recently upgraded to SP2).

Here is my directory setup on my main workstation:

f: -- +
|
+ -- screamernet -- + <-- *.lws, *.lwo files
|
+ -- output <-- Rendered scene files

I share f:\screamernet with my renderfarm computers as \\constellation\screamernet ("constellation" is the name of my main workstation on my LAN). In my LW9.CFG file, my OutputDirectory parameter is set to \\constellation\screamernet\output.

But that wasn't working.

So on a whim I moved my output directory up a level...

f: -- +
|
+ -- screamernet <-- *.lws, *.lwo files
|
+ -- output <-- Rendered scene files

...and I edited my LW9.CFG file to point my OutputDirectory parameter to \\constellation\output. Success! The image files now get written.

On my LW8 screamernet setup, the "output" directory was in the old position (as a subdirectory of "f:\screamernet") and everything worked fine. Either Windows XP SP2 doesn't share subdirectories of shared directories correctly, or LW9's screamernet doesn't like them in that position. Whatever. It works now, and I can resume rendering.