PDA

View Full Version : any image or info about Kappa 2?

ufo3d
08-02-2006, 06:59 AM
is kapp2 specailly designed for skin shading?
I would like to see the comparsion of kappa and kappa2.

Werner
08-02-2006, 02:49 PM
It just sounds like a time shaver. At the moment you have to use two Kappa nodes if you have lights in the front AND back of your object...one set to "forward" and one set to "back". This result in renders taking longer because it has to evaluate both nodes.
From what I understand, the new Kappa II will layer both these settings in one node and cut the rendering time in half.
It sounds good tho! I can’t wait to try it out.

BazC
08-03-2006, 01:58 AM
I kinda got the impression that it simulated surface and subdermal layers as well, like a skin and a muscle/blood layer. Sort of like Omega has?

duke
08-03-2006, 02:04 AM
Kappa2? Where do I get it? :P

BazC
08-03-2006, 02:23 AM
Kappa2? Where do I get it? :P

It's coming in the next point release and hopefully the next beta!

Werner
08-03-2006, 02:30 AM
I kinda got the impression that it simulated surface and subdermal layers as well, like a skin and a muscle/blood layer. Sort of like Omega has?

Well, I really hope you are right. I got a chance to play with the Mental Ray Fast skin shader and it is awesome...so easy to use and the results are great.
Having these options in our SSS shader will help allot.

At the moment Omega works well for me, but it is slow! I hope Newtek continue to develop and refine speed and overall performance of the new shaders. Reading about the new Kappa II shader makes me believe that they will do just that.

BazC
08-03-2006, 02:37 AM
Yeah, of course it may just be wishful thinking!

Werner
08-03-2006, 02:43 AM
True! Can anyone from Newtek please jump in here and give us a better insight on this?:help:

ufo3d
08-13-2006, 11:18 AM
any news/image about kappa, NT?

duke
08-13-2006, 11:36 PM
Don't keep your hopes up, from the press release Kappa II is only supposed to be the two types rolled into one (forward and backward), not Newtek's answer to the MR fast skin shader, which while I would love it, it's a whole different piece of technology (lightmaps, up sampling down sampling in sampling out sampling what).

ufo3d
08-16-2006, 09:35 AM
Don't keep your hopes up, from the press release Kappa II is only supposed to be the two types rolled into one (forward and backward), not Newtek's answer to the MR fast skin shader, which while I would love it, it's a whole different piece of technology (lightmaps, up sampling down sampling in sampling out sampling what).

yeh, I think so, I really want something like fast skin SSS though, hope NT will give us some suprise.

swpspce
08-16-2006, 02:00 PM
True! Can anyone from Newtek please jump in here and give us a better insight on this?:help:

hey Werner - rather interesting website contained in your sig...

Werner
08-16-2006, 03:10 PM
hey Werner - rather interesting website contained in your sig...

yeah, I just feel it is my duty to warn people (especially before the Soccer World cup in 2010) about the dangers of visiting a country where violent crime (about 50 murders per month) is part of every day life.

It is sad, but with a government like this, it is bound to happen.

I hear on a weekly basis of people who got mugged, raped or car-jacked. Crime has affected me as well, and I'm busy making plans to leave this country.

I hope people know what they are up against when they come here, and if you ever hear of someone who wants to visit South Africa, please tell them to find out more about the crime rate, and how to minimise the chance of becoming a statistic.

oops, now I'm hi-jacking this thread. Back to SSS shading

Tesselator
08-17-2006, 11:06 AM
Kapa-2 is specially designed for skin shading. It offers BOTH "forward" mode
and "backward" mode at the same time in the same node. Forward AND
Backward modes are needed in order to get the most accurate skin shading
possible (especailly human type skin) within the confines of the Kappa algo.

This is both an improvment to convienience (you won't need to add and setup
two Kappa nodes per surface) and a speed up - as two Kappa nodes will not
need to be calculated for each spot of each surface they are applied to.

BazC
08-17-2006, 12:38 PM
Thanks for the info Tesselator!

ufo3d
09-04-2006, 02:25 PM
Hi, does Kappa 2 support multi-layer SSS (assign different color for Epidermal and Subdermal )?