PDA

View Full Version : OT: Windows server licencing for Screamernet

TBXP
08-01-2006, 04:57 PM
Hi Folks,

I'm looking at a potential renderfarm upgrade for the studio I do work for. One thing that has confused us is the client licencing that microsoft have with their servers. I've tried contacting MS about this but they were pretty hopeless.

Running windows 2000 server, my question is this. If a render machine makes 2 screamernet requests to the server, (because we have dual core machines), does each SN node require a client licence or is one client acceptable because of the physical machine.

At the moment we have a 25 client licence, and I'm unsure how to proceed... .

Any input gratefully recieved.

madjester
08-01-2006, 06:30 PM
Whoop, your asking about Microsofts license, my bad. Sorry man, I'll have to look this one up.

gjjackson
08-02-2006, 06:21 AM
I think it Does count as two nodes. I seem to recall this same question posed a while back. A search on these forums could tell you more. As I recall there were some good explanations on that.

TBXP
08-02-2006, 10:17 AM
I did search the forums before I posted, but didn't find anything..

lots
08-02-2006, 10:54 AM
Microsoft licesnes all its OSs (last I saw) by the number of sockets in the machine, and not the CPUs.

Though, I dont think this is what you are talking about, but rather the client number your server is licensed to "serve"

That isnt very clear, on MS's part.

gjjackson
08-02-2006, 11:59 AM
Maybe this will help.

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showpost.php?p=367550&postcount=3

TBXP
08-02-2006, 08:02 PM
Thanks for the help everyone. I suspected that they want a Client Access Licence for each connection to the server, (but their licencing is muddy on this point).

Gonna have to start looking at perhaps a linux solution,(ubuntu looks good), but wondering how I can run Butterfly Net Render on a linux box.

Regards,

TBXP

Amadeus0
08-02-2006, 08:08 PM
A "connection" in the MS definition is per [ethernet] port. So if you have 3 machines (each with one ethernet port/one IP address) connected to a MS server, then that counts as 3 connections. The number of CPUs in the client machine has nothing to do with server liscenses.

Defiance
08-03-2006, 10:16 PM
Linux is probably the way to go. Find out if the net render program will work under Wine... It might (unlike LightWave itself).