PDA

View Full Version : Extrude command/function?

Stjepanovic
08-01-2006, 09:51 AM
What's up with the extrude tool?:lwicon: :lwicon: :help:
I am a new user of LW8.5-9.0 and before I have used a several other applications. I can not beleive that in 2006 extrude tool does not work (also there is no inner extrude either) It basically produces inverted poly etc. when being used on lines or polys. Unbelivable! Is there an update or a trick to amend this or we all have to buy LWCAD 2.0?:thumbsdow

Modo, an offshoot of LW has a same problem. Unbelivable! How many revisions ones (and new solutions) need to resolve such issue. Obviously Viktor Velicko did not have a problem. Somebody please hire this guy to rehaul modeller at least some parts!

iconoclasty
08-01-2006, 09:55 AM
That's not an error. That's how it's supposed to work.

Silkrooster
08-01-2006, 12:59 PM
The "trick" is to look at the direction of the normal of the poly you want to extrude. Drag the opposite direction. Because lightwave uses single sided polys, you need to tell the extude tool what direction the polys need to face. If you are doing a room for example you need the polys to face inwards. So the orginal poly would have to face inwards.
Silk

KillMe
08-01-2006, 01:08 PM
use the e key it gives what msot people are expecting the actaul extrde tool is for turning a 2d surface into a 3d one and you extrude away from the surface

iconoclasty
08-01-2006, 02:51 PM
When I switched from 3d Studio, I found the Smooth shift (shift f) to be what I was used to for extruding in Max. However now I find the e key followed by translating my polys is a much more usefull way [Like KillMe suggests].

Silkrooster
08-01-2006, 02:59 PM
Just doing a little correcting so anybody just learning the shortcuts don't get confused. Shift-e is extrude and e is extender plus. Extender plus was added to ver 8 of lightwave.
Silk