PDA

View Full Version : How can i bake my procedural bump textures into a single bump image map ?

andy gee
08-01-2006, 06:34 AM
Hi

how can i bake all of my procedural bump textures into a single bump image

map using lightwave 9 ? same goes for a specualr map ! i know how to do it

for a colour map, but im not sure about the others please help !

Thanks

Andy Gee

connerh
08-01-2006, 01:01 PM
Well, bumpmaps and specular maps run off of grayscale images, so just running the alphas etc from the bump nodes and spec nodes into the color channels and then baking should do the trick.

Weepul
08-01-2006, 01:34 PM
From what I've found, the bump produced by procedurals isn't the same as if you baked their alphas and used it as an image map to produce bumping.

It's possible, but not as straightforward. Here's what I would consider the simplest solution: pipe the Bump output straight into Diffuse Shading (and have nothing else on the surface visible). Bake with Dithering turned OFF. It'll be colorful since you're making an image map of the bump vectors, similar to a Normal Map (but definitely not the same thing). Save in a high-dynamic-range format. The format will have to allow for negative pixel values - I know .flx allows this, and I think HDR does.

Load the image, set up the UV mapping options, and pipe its Color output to Bump. Ordinarily, this would not produce results that make any sense, so Nodal specifically prevents you from doing this. You can work around this by instead connecting Color to a Vector Math node that doesn't do anything (such as an Add node with <0,0,0> as the second value) - you can then attach that vector output to the Bump input.