PDA

View Full Version : Siggraph 2006 Videos?

Nicolas Jordan
08-01-2006, 12:08 AM
I always enjoy watching videos from the Newtek stage at Siggraph every year since I am not able to attend. When can we expect to see some Siggraph vids? After Siggraph is over or before its over on Aug 3rd?

Wickster
08-01-2006, 12:15 PM
Well streaming video might be out of the question since NT said they might not do streaming this year. but i'm sure they'll be recording some form of videos and post them here on the site.

On another note. Is anybody here on Siggraph at the moment? Can someone PLEASE post some info from the NT booth? signs 9.x anywhere out there?? Anticipation is killing me here.

T-Light
08-01-2006, 05:44 PM
Weird we haven't even seen still pictures yet.

I can only think they're having a heck of a time, maybe we'll see something tomorrow.

lunarcamel
08-02-2006, 06:27 AM
You're not missing anything trust me.

Rich
08-02-2006, 09:05 AM
Well they are showing off features of LW 9.x . The new motion blur is pretty sweet. I am getting ready to head there right now to check out more! :thumbsup:

Matt
08-02-2006, 09:24 AM
Come on guys, photos for those who can't make it! Puuuuurlease! :)

Brian Arndt
08-02-2006, 10:06 AM
We arent streaming this year, but I "think" we are going to get some videos, probably not till after the show ends though.

There "should" be some pictures coming soon hopefully, just waiting for those at the show to send them to me! Their pretty busy there im sure! :thumbsup:

cresshead
08-02-2006, 01:51 PM
boy, what a lack lustre online show siggraph 2006 is..can't find anything anywhere on any apps!

the only things i've seen that relates to siggraph this year is the max 9 demo videos and the z brush 2.5 sample videos...

so is siggraph not up to much anymore...?

last year we had 8hrs a day newtek broadcasting..this ytear not even a single pixel from siggraph!

progress huh?

GregMalick
08-02-2006, 02:53 PM
also some Modo vids - the links are on the LUX site.

DonJMyers
08-02-2006, 06:17 PM
I was surprised how small siggraph in LA had gotten 2 years ago when I went so I didn't go last year. It must be even smaller in boston :(

It's kind of an odd thing. now that cgi is so popular you can get a lot of the same info on the net or "making of" dvd's. Maybe there isn't quite as critical a need for siggraph at least from a product advertising perspective.

Earl
08-02-2006, 11:17 PM
You know, I've also heard E3 is in danger of being discontinued. Perhaps with how developed the web has become in discovering information these types of conferences are going out of style.

Yet Comic-Con grows larger and larger each year... it's out of control!!! :boogiedow :boogiedow

Truecoz
08-03-2006, 12:37 AM
It's kind of an odd thing. now that cgi is so popular you can get a lot of the same info on the net or "making of" dvd's. Maybe there isn't quite as critical a need for siggraph at least from a product advertising perspective.

ACM SIGGRAPH is an acronym for Association for Computer Machinery's Special Interest Group on Graphics and Interactive Techniques.

They have over 8,000 members.

It means itís a place where the latest in computer hardware and software meet the best in graphics.

Itís not necessary for everyone in graphics to go these days, like you said many graphic artists find enough info on the net, DVDís, books, etc. However, if youíre working on the forefront of the latest technologies for graphics, or if you want to meet companies that develop hardware and software to request features, then there is no better place than a SIGGRAPH convention.

If you only go to the exhibits and you don't go to the courses, classes, and seminars. Especially those regarding new technologies and techniques, then youíre missing out on the latest information regarding graphics and the graphics community. Of course, eventually these new techniques and technologies will trickle down to the graphic artists that donít need to work right on the edge of technology.

The other thing thatís invaluable about a SIGGRAPH convention; if youíre looking to get a job, you can talk directly with recruiters, ask them questions, and sometimes get your work critiqued. Itís too bad that they held the convention in Bean Town and not somewhere here in Cali. because I would have liked to go, but couldnít make the trip this year. I sure Iíll be going to the convention in SD next year though.

-Chris:yingyang:

bobakabob
08-03-2006, 03:55 AM
boy, what a lack lustre online show siggraph 2006 is..can't find anything anywhere on any apps!

the only things i've seen that relates to siggraph this year is the max 9 demo videos and the z brush 2.5 sample videos...

so is siggraph not up to much anymore...?

last year we had 8hrs a day newtek broadcasting..this ytear not even a single pixel from siggraph!

progress huh?

:agree: Disappointing. Z Brush seems to be one of the few apps that has made a 'splash' on the web. It looks awesome, btw, and even better news, its forthcoming competitor Mudbox may influence development and pricing for the better. It would be great to know more about Lightwave's new features.

Rich
08-03-2006, 07:27 AM
also some Modo vids - the links are on the LUX site.

Speaking of Lux, I didn't see their booth anywhere on the main show floor. They wern't even listed in the booklet that mapped out the locations of all the booths. Newtek and a very large noticable booth. I enjoyed seeing a few of the new features including all the new real world camera lenses that will be in the next .x release.

Wickster
08-03-2006, 07:55 AM
Speaking of Lux, I didn't see their booth anywhere on the main show floor. They wern't even listed in the booklet that mapped out the locations of all the booths. Newtek and a very large noticable booth. I enjoyed seeing a few of the new features including all the new real world camera lenses that will be in the next .x release.
I guess its to save money, but I think Lux is trying to save money by piggy-backing on other comapny's booth like ATI or nVidia to demo Modo...at least thats what I noticed the last year and the year before that.

WCameron
08-03-2006, 09:42 AM
yeah i didnt see a luxology booth either. but it was only when I got home that I discovered Natural Motion was running their show off their own Yacht moored outside the world trade center. and I know Softimage had some
things going on at the WTC so maybe they were elsewhere....

it was pretty nice for my first siggraph. coulda had more SWAG but thats probably always the case! (Nice Lightwave 9 T-Shirts though - handed out by Irene no less :-)

I coudnt make the Newtek aquarium show as i was dead on my feet (running on about 48 hours or so by 6 on tuesday i just had to endure
a 2 hour trip back home to salem so i ducked out....)

- Will.

WCameron
08-03-2006, 09:49 AM
oops. double post....

Sarford
08-03-2006, 09:59 AM
Here are some video's on Siggraph:

http://features.cgsociety.org/siggraph2006/part_one/

dablan
08-03-2006, 07:30 PM
Hi guys,
not many, but I posted a few pics

www.ablanphoto.com

Bog
08-03-2006, 08:17 PM

I dragged my spotty white backside 5,000 miles to be here in person, and I'm telling you solemnly that if it was lacklustre online it was because the NT Crew was busting their tailbones making the event itself something incredible.

I'm sat in my hotel room... it's done, it's finished and I wish it wasn't because it was hawesome.

*edit* Dan, totally failed to catch you, dude! Gutted! Still, you probably saved yourself an unwanted bear-hug. :)

KillMe
08-03-2006, 08:19 PM
anyone see anything of vue 6? the litlle clip the post on the site looks like impressive volumetric cloud abilities with it but not much to go on from teh stie alone

dablan
08-03-2006, 09:22 PM
Sorry I missed you Bog! Next time!

cresshead
08-04-2006, 03:48 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/siggraph2006/part_three/

and the other two days as well!

also buzz3s tv should be having some videos soon...podcasts

Philbert
08-04-2006, 03:56 AM
I watched those CG Society vids earlier today, Anyone else notice that the only companies they talked to are the ones who sponsored the video?

colkai
08-04-2006, 05:26 AM
Hehe, and this surprises you why? ;) :p

cresshead
08-04-2006, 05:38 AM
also not much 'actual info' on these videos...i'm hoping that 3dbuzz comes thru wth some real information on new apps/tech from siggraph

Nicolas Jordan
08-04-2006, 09:41 AM
I watched those CG Society vids earlier today, Anyone else notice that the only companies they talked to are the ones who sponsored the video?

Ya seems like Autodesk stuff shows up in every video :stumped:

I am actually kinda ticked at CGTalk lately because they seem to be catering more to the so called big apps. I guess money talks :)