PDA

View Full Version : how long is your best record.:P (i mean rendring time)

katsh
07-31-2006, 10:45 PM
my longest waiting of rendering is 209 hours.
not "seconds" not "miniutes" ..."HOURS".

and the point is this is for only "One" image(1280x960 1 image)

can u believe this? hehe
and
can u believe that i didnt give up till rendering is finished.

209hours = almost 9days. i felt like 1 month or more.
in the middle of those days,haha,i thought i press the "abort button" or pull the plug.lol
cuz,it seemed like freezed manytimes. freeze and comeback and freeze.....
but i NEVER GIVE UP and KEPT TRUST MY SWEET LIGHTWAVE.
he didnt betray me.:thumbsup:

after that i found out what was cause.
relation between radiosity and HV was the cause.
i change only 1 parameter,and render same scene again,
render time was 1hours.........

DiedonD
08-01-2006, 04:09 AM
Your a greatly patient man Katsh. I usually so far dont let the render get its way if the overall time per frame passes 5 minutes per frame. But 9 days!

What the heck did you do for 9 days while it was rendering? I mean, my mind is always at the rendering computer. And I can manage a 2-3 days tops before I get tired out of doing nothing, literarily speaking. You must've had a highly specialized professional time seriel killer.

Even if I could afford to wait for 9 days, the electricity isnt stable in my country. Imagine the UPS beeping fast cause its about to go off after 30 minitues, and your at the 98th frame out of 100. Very risky ordeal indeed.

But yeah... HIGHLY patient man indeed.

katsh
08-01-2006, 06:28 AM
hehe thank you.
yea if i am 3rd person i think "katsh is not normal guy".i know,,and its natural.
well, i could do other task(job) on the same PC.
the PC has 2 CPU.
only 1thread setting in LW. then LW doesnt use 2CPU. so i could use 1 other CPU.

wow, i have never think about "stability" of PC.didnt even imagine.

when ppl press the abort-button cause of LW hang,it not hang,just very very slow.cause of LW goes some algorithm trap temporarily (katsh)

pooby
08-01-2006, 12:55 PM
36 hours... but it was an animation and that was per frame!

katsh
08-01-2006, 06:12 PM
i c. cool.
animation is better to wait than 1 image.
cuz i can know LW hang or not by watiching the frame advance.

Imagine, wait for 1 image. u cant get any information from render status dialog.

Captain Obvious
08-01-2006, 06:58 PM
About 40 hours is the longest I've rendered.

jameswillmott
08-01-2006, 07:14 PM
3 days, didn't record the time in hours. That was a still. I've rendered nonstop for three weeks on the renderfarm though...

Riplakish
08-01-2006, 09:29 PM
I've done 2 days per frame, but spread the animation out over a two dozen machine render farm. Usually, if its more than an hour per frame, I go back and turn off all of the silly stuff I had on that I really didn't need in the scene.

DiedonD
08-02-2006, 12:47 AM
36 hours... but it was an animation and that was per frame!

A bit off topic maybe, but whats this render per frame idea, that I keep hearing lately. Its suppose to save the so far rendered time, and save you from accidents that may occur while rendering. But I dont know any of that stuff, I just render, I dont know weather its per frame, but I sure as **** loose all the render when electricity goes out for instance.

So how does it works? Where do you click? How does it saves your data?
Thanks

jameswillmott
08-02-2006, 12:59 AM
In the render globals panel, you can ask LW to Save RGB ( which are individual frames/render per frame ) or an animation ( which is what gets lost halfway through when the power goes out )

DiedonD
08-02-2006, 01:42 AM
In the render globals panel, you can ask LW to Save RGB ( which are individual frames/render per frame ) or an animation ( which is what gets lost halfway through when the power goes out )

Le tme see if Ive understood this correctly, I should first ask LW to save RGB, which usually doesnt takes very long, and then render the scene, and if theres a power failure, how does then saving RGB saves the render?

I appreciate the reply BTW

pooby
08-02-2006, 02:15 AM
It renders one frame then another then another, so if you had a powercut half way through. you'd still have half the frames.
If you made an AVI or Quicktime etc, then you'd lose the whole thing, as it only saves it once it's finished.

DiedonD
08-02-2006, 02:26 AM
It renders one frame then another then another, so if you had a powercut half way through. you'd still have half the frames.
If you made an AVI or Quicktime etc, then you'd lose the whole thing, as it only saves it once it's finished.

I seeeee. I suppose then you can play the movie, see where it has stopped, figure which frame precisely, continue rendering with save RGB from there, and when youre left with two parts of the same scene then you could use something like AE or Premiere to connect them, Right?
Just want to sum it all up. Thanks in advance.

pooby
08-02-2006, 02:30 AM
I guess you could if the file wasn't corrupted by the pwoer cut .. I know very little about rendering 'animation' files, as I always use RGB

DiedonD
08-02-2006, 02:39 AM
I guess you could if the file wasn't corrupted by the pwoer cut .. I know very little about rendering 'animation' files, as I always use RGB

You got me confused now Pooby! Now Im battled with questions:

1) Cant an animation be rendered with save RGB option?
2) Is the RGB file usable, viewable?
3) Do you render in avi (or mov) and in RGB at the same time or separate?
4) If after a power failure, the rendering stops on the half of the scene for instance, you say the file is corrupted anyway!? So whats the use, how doe they get saved if the file which was suppose to be saved now gets corrupted and useless?

StereoMike
08-02-2006, 02:42 AM
Hi diedond

Just save your frame sequence as e.g. .png or .tga files. LW will put it on your harddisk with an increasing counter next to the name (ball0000.png up to ball0259.png)
Just get virtualdub (freeware). You can then drag and drop the first frame ball0000.png onto virtualdub and watch the animation there and save it as avi.

Mike

DiedonD
08-02-2006, 02:47 AM
Got it :thumbsup: Thanks Stereomike, Pooby.

katsh
08-02-2006, 10:18 PM
3 days, didn't record the time in hours. That was a still. I've rendered nonstop for three weeks on the renderfarm though...

I've done 2 days per frame, but spread the animation out over a two dozen machine render farm. Usually, if its more than an hour per frame, I go back and turn off all of the silly stuff I had on that I really didn't need in the scene.

renderfarm..oh..sounds cool for me.
u guys are sounds like a pro right?
i mean using LW for living.

or u own the renderfarm in private?

jameswillmott
08-02-2006, 10:32 PM
I had a private renderfarm built from (very old) second hand PC's a while ago when this was just a hobby.

Now, since I do Lightwave for a living, I lease 6 machines which I update every six months to the best I can get for the same monthly payments.

Renderfarms( or renderpatch because mine is small) are really cool. They let you try things you just can't realistically do on a single machine.

katsh
08-02-2006, 11:28 PM
ok cool.its amazing for me(noob) that talking with pros.

well,some time ago,i am thinking about connecting a several PCs each others.
i have 4 old PC.(1 of 4 is laptop haha)
Pen1-120Mhz
Pen2-400Mhz
Pen4-1700Mhz
Duron-1000Mhz
total=? i dont know in accurate but about 3000Mhz i guess.

my main machine is Xeon 2400Mhzx2 = hmm about 3000Mhz or bit higher?
neway 4PCs cant beat Only 1newPC.
if i use 5 PC with ScreamerNet,it doughty the performance goes 2times faster than now.

if each machine has a similar spec(i guess thats why u updating every 6month),i can get a merit.

btw,i can imagine that renderfarm is useful at "animation".
how about "1 Frame(1 Image)" ?

Phil
08-02-2006, 11:37 PM
Careful - mixing CPU types can cause problems with rendering due to the same calculation giving subtly different results with different CPUs. I'm not sure how much in changes between CPUs from the same manufacturer, but certainly you will get differences between AMD and Intel chips, possible as subtle colour changes (which would result in flickering in animations).

jameswillmott
08-03-2006, 01:12 AM
ok cool.its amazing for me(noob) that talking with pros.

well,some time ago,i am thinking about connecting a several PCs each others.
i have 4 old PC.(1 of 4 is laptop haha)
Pen1-120Mhz
Pen2-400Mhz
Pen4-1700Mhz
Duron-1000Mhz
total=? i dont know in accurate but about 3000Mhz i guess.

my main machine is Xeon 2400Mhzx2 = hmm about 3000Mhz or bit higher?
neway 4PCs cant beat Only 1newPC.
if i use 5 PC with ScreamerNet,it doughty the performance goes 2times faster than now.

if each machine has a similar spec(i guess thats why u updating every 6month),i can get a merit.

btw,i can imagine that renderfarm is useful at "animation".
how about "1 Frame(1 Image)" ?

Renderfarms can be used to render a single frame if your render controller supports the feature. Each node on the farm basically gets assigned a small slice of image, when all the pieces are done the controller stitches them together into one large image.

DiedonD
08-03-2006, 02:19 AM
Katsh, now that I think of it, your computer was on for 9 days non stop work for that image. Dont computers burn off or something? I mean they ventilate, but they warm up too. So other then to await that the computer to melt the shelf from the heat, is there a limit for how long should you leave a single computer to work, before it gets damaged by the heat?

katsh
08-03-2006, 03:19 AM
Katsh, now that I think of it, your computer was on for 9 days non stop work for that image.
yes.

Dont computers burn off or something?
no he didnt.
his real name is "DELL Precison 450" by the way.

is there a limit for how long should you leave a single computer to work, before it gets damaged by the heat?
i dont know.im not hardware guy.not even interest in hardware.
i ve never met a situaion that PC gone to heaven. never. for 20 years since i got PC.
so i dont care if PC is hot hard core.

now i remebering those painful days.
ya ya he was hot at all.and the season was close to summer(june).
he kept make noises from 5 big fans.(Precision has many funs especialy dualCPU has 5)
but he was quiet in the night.

katsh
08-03-2006, 03:28 AM
Phil thx.
i dont do it anyways with current machines.
but future, i may do it with same machines each others.

james, i c.
i didnt know each machine can compute a part of a image.
now it make sense why u push renderfarm.

DiedonD
08-03-2006, 04:16 AM
i dont know.im not hardware guy.not even interest in hardware.
i ve never met a situaion that PC gone to heaven. never. for 20 years since i got PC.
so i dont care if PC is hot hard core.

You dont care! Well what if it burned up in the final minute of your 9th day?! Then all the render and, god forbit, possibly all your work in that computer aswell, would go to heaven as you say.
Wouldnt you like to know what are the limits of the hardware now?
Just how long can it take working non stop cause nothing works forever.

Does anyone else has a say on this issue?

Lightwolf
08-03-2006, 04:56 AM
Does anyone else has a say on this issue?
Hm, we have a server here running non-stop for two years now, and the machines in our render farm have worked non-stop at 100% usage for a couple of months.
If your coling is allright, the worst thing that usually happens it that either a HD fails, or you might have a bad power supply. Everything else is pretty solid nowadays.

Cheers,
Mike

colkai
08-03-2006, 05:34 AM
My works Pc (my old home P3-550), is never switched off, kept running all the time, though not at full load.

My home pc (AMD XP1800+) gets turned off as soon as I've finished with it as it's like a gosh durn jet engine and my bed is next to it, after all, at my age, I need my beauty sleep. :p

As for render times, longest I've left a single image is about 4 or so hours, mainly for the above reason, if I can't finish a render within 12 hours, it don't get done. Now, should Newtek ever implement a render you can pause/save and continue (A la FPrime), well, dunno, might do a long one just for a laugh. ;)

DiedonD
08-03-2006, 06:11 AM
Im currently rendering two scenes with RGB save option on. One is 650 frames and the other is 1000. And ironically the second one seems that it will make it first, cause its only renderinf three times per frame, while the first is classic low, so 5 times per frame.
And I still can do alot on this computer. But the rendering has taken its tall by now, and even though I have this monster computer, its the only one I have, so was getting worried weather it can hold on for a while longer, after 5 days of repeadetly re-rendering to get it right.

It seems thee most time we spend on is rendering images, rather than creating them, am I right?

jameswillmott
08-03-2006, 07:10 AM
I leave the cases off mine and flush them with air to blow out the dust. It lets the heat escape quite nicely.

Captain Obvious
08-03-2006, 11:56 AM
I've left my iBook running at full load for about a day. It doesn't damage it.

StereoMike
08-03-2006, 01:58 PM
I once had 3 laptops and two desktop computers rendering 14 days in one go. If you provide a good and fresh airflow that isn't a problem.

Mike

jwilli3
08-03-2006, 03:58 PM
Katsh, now that I think of it, your computer was on for 9 days non stop work for that image. Dont computers burn off or something? I mean they ventilate, but they warm up too. So other then to await that the computer to melt the shelf from the heat, is there a limit for how long should you leave a single computer to work, before it gets damaged by the heat?

Well once the PCI-bus Faries upload the Rochester-Wangle algorithms to your CPU heat matrix you have a 42 hour window before whats called a cautionary wave occurs (aka a "Gerald's Spike") and your fans reverse thrust and deliver reverse CFM airflow into the case (happens backwards below the equator). The build up of Eletrocmagnetic Polygraph waves then begin to break down your core along the edge of the event horizion. This is also know as the "If leaving your computer turned on causes it to break then there was already something wrong with it" prinicple.

Lamont
08-03-2006, 04:17 PM
Mine was like 19~23 hours for one ubber frame. I hardly render.

Captain Obvious
08-03-2006, 06:56 PM
Well once the PCI-bus Faries upload the Rochester-Wangle algorithms to your CPU heat matrix you have a 42 hour window before whats called a cautionary wave occurs (aka a "Gerald's Spike") and your fans reverse thrust and deliver reverse CFM airflow into the case (happens backwards below the equator). The build up of Eletrocmagnetic Polygraph waves then begin to break down your core along the edge of the event horizion. This is also know as the "If leaving your computer turned on causes it to break then there was already something wrong with it" prinicple.
Yep, sounds about right. Also, remember that the cautionary wave falloff rate is the inverse square. Many people think the falloff is linear, but this is actually not the case. So by placing the computer ACU far enough from the CPU, you can actually avoid the problem most of the time. Of course, this results in worse dissipation, so you might experience energy build-up issues earlier, but said issues will cause less problems when they do appear. Conversely, but placing the ACU closer to the CPU, you can increase the time it takes for the cautionary wave to appear, but once it does, its effect will be increased. The trick is finding the balance.

Also, if the PCI clock generator is out-of-synch with the CPU clock generator, the Rochester-Wangle upload often gets reversed. That is something that you do NOT want to happen! I've seen PSUs explode (yes, literally explode) when this happens. Not pretty.

DiedonD
08-04-2006, 12:41 AM
I leave the cases off mine and flush them with air to blow out the dust. It lets the heat escape quite nicely.

YOu mean you remove the case completely from the computer and flush them with alternative air, like fans and stuff???

jameswillmott
08-04-2006, 01:00 AM
Yes, they are all caseless to let the air circulate, I use fans to keep dust from settling on the components.

DiedonD
08-04-2006, 01:18 AM
Oh my... And you say thats better then handling them normally? WOw!
So to sum things up, could someone cathegorize the time one should leave the computer to render, by experience. It could be educationional for other newcomers as well you know.

The normal time allowed: How may days? (Green Zone)

The time when it would start to get considerate and risky? (Orange Zone)

And the time when you should rap things up quickly before the CPU is on fire? (Red Zone)

Greeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen/ Oraaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnge/ Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed

katsh
08-04-2006, 01:49 AM
for me,theres all green.

Meantime,i forgot to post this1.
theres not only 209hours ,i had another record.
113hours. 640x480. of course 1 still image.haha

the same cause of 209hours thing.

relation between radiosity and HV.and maybe transparent surface.
Edit:
omg..radiosity was off..hmmm

and now i remember , i didnt touch "ray vrecursion limit".another way of saying "it was 16" in both cases.

wow i was so stupid and what a noob.

What is worse is , the Image that show up after 113hours was useless.OMG!!!!!(as u can see in the pic)
it mean 113hours was completely waste.
this was the difference with 209hours thing. 209hours image had no problem.and i use that on my web page.

StereoMike
08-04-2006, 04:08 PM
diedond don't get fooled. if your hardware isn't cheapest crap and your case has a nice airflow design, you won't encounter any "red zones".

OK, i can say this for Germany, don't know if a PC breaks down in bolivia at highnoon (higher temperatures?).

Mike

beverins
08-04-2006, 08:53 PM
11 days is my record. Long story ^_^

katsh
08-05-2006, 10:25 AM
11days,ok,u beat me.
9days is my best.
what is Long story ^_^

StereoMike
08-05-2006, 10:54 AM
If you state your records, does it mean you powered the system off at the end or it crashed after that time?

Mike

beverins
08-05-2006, 12:29 PM
The 11 day render was something a student did. He had a scale model of a gallery with a car smashing through it. He accurately modeled all the lights and put spots and point lights as well as area lights all around the place. Through various testing of really low-res renders, he finally arrived at something he liked, so he set it to render at 11"x14" Print Res (pixel resolution determined by Photoshop at 72dpi - I think it was a 3K image or so). Rendering on P4 1.8ghz took this sucker 11 days. Most of the render, LW sat there with Windows claiming it was "non responsive". This was with Lw 8.0 by the way.

You can see a real low-res version here
http://www.brooklyn.liu.edu/depts/mediarts/gallerySite/htDOCS/images/3Dgallery/MotohiroKaneko03.jpg

katsh
08-06-2006, 12:44 AM
LW sat there with Windows claiming it was "non responsive". This was with Lw 8.0 by the way.

oh! that what i want to say!!
yes,ur student is very very tough (as crazy..)than me .hehe