PDA

View Full Version : Can't Bevel in v9 Help!

elijahnow
07-31-2006, 07:39 AM
Hello,
I don't know what is going wrong I hope someone can get me straitened out.
I am making a parking lot, and as I try to make curbs that go around the islands I'm having a great deal of problem with what should be a simple procedure. I have done this several times before with no problem but now I'm using v9 (not the beta) and I'm having problems.
When I'm in poly mode and I use the bevel tool to work my way in building the curb of my island everything works backwards and upside down. I have tried and tried to figure it out and can't get it right.
I'm doing the same things I did before, but since using v9 I can't get it to work. My curb come in 18", then I have an angle that goes in and up 1", then it goes up 4" and so on.
But instead it goes out and down, the polygon is always on the bottom. I've tried the f key to flip but this doesn't seem to work.
Is there a setting I need to change I?
Thanks for any help,

Del

nthused
07-31-2006, 08:12 AM
Interesting...I've beveled a lot in "9" - never had any problems. Have you tried a very simple model - to see if it's a model issue versus a LW issue?

colkai
07-31-2006, 09:13 AM
I've had this and it normally realtes t osome problem in the geometry I had not picked up on. Oftentimes a 'non-planar' polygon so LW gets all confused about which way is up.

Sekhar
07-31-2006, 09:31 AM
You may be having too high a snap value (display options, units). If that's ok, see if everything works ok the numberic ("n" key) way.

elijahnow
07-31-2006, 03:48 PM
Hey everyone thanks for the replies.
I finally got the parking lot done. What a way to learn LW. Almost every island in the parking lot (seven islands) had to be done differently, I think only one went like I thought it would.
I learned to rely on the perspective view a lot more than I have been. With all the lines running parallel it got confusing until I learned to watch perspective more closely.
Back to the problem...........
Sometimes I had to flip my polygon before I started to bevel and then everything worked fine, on others I didn't need to flip. On some of the islands I had to go opposite, in other wards minus when it was to the plus, on the one I worked on before, by the way all islands are in the same object file and I started over from scratch several times.
I think it may be a setting and not v9 itself. I did a similar project a short while back and didn't have any problems, after downloading v9 I ran into the problem.
I checked the snap and it's set at standard. Should I turn it off? And I use the n key for numbers.
Thanks,

Del

Sekhar
07-31-2006, 05:04 PM
I checked the snap and it's set at standard. Should I turn it off?
Please ignore my comment on snap. I'd misread your original post as saying your bevel is jumping from 1" to 4" - looks like that's not what you meant.

Could you post your object?

elijahnow
08-01-2006, 08:18 AM
Hey Sekhar,
Here's a screen shot.
I can e-mail the file if you'd like to see that.
Thanks,

Del