PDA

View Full Version : Arming Phasers

jtoney7852
07-30-2006, 08:51 PM
Well I need to make a space scene where the Enterprise fires phasers at a Romulun ship and in turn the Romuluns fire a torpedo back at the Enterprise. What is going to be my best route for accomplishing this?

loki74
07-30-2006, 09:31 PM
Well if you plan on doing anything other than just making this and showing it to some friends, you'll want to get permission from whoever owns the rights to this stuff...

Aside from that lets see... do you already have textured, animatable models? if so, then I would just use simple geometry to make shapes that represent your lasers and photon torpedos, render a pass with only those objects, and use a compositor (ie, After Effects, Shake, Combustion) to add the glow effects to the lasers. This way you'll be able to tweak the color and glow amounts without rendering all over again.

If you don't have a compositing package, I would just make simple geometry and tweak the glow, ambience, and diffuse settings to get the proper effect.

gatz
07-30-2006, 10:09 PM
Knoll's LensflarePro, an After Effects plugin used to have presets he designed for some trek effects he created. Federation, Klingon etc as I remember.