PDA

View Full Version : Really picky problem

Darth Mole
07-30-2006, 12:45 PM
Okay, this is me being really picky - but why doesn't LW now remember where I place panels? Every time I open up LW and hit F9, the render window is sat at the bottom of the screen, off to one side.

It's minor, I know, but I don't want it there. I want it in the middle. I'm funny that way. The old LW as good and remembered it, but this new version, well, it seems to know better...

Chilton
07-30-2006, 12:55 PM
I don't consider that 'picky'. It's a feature that isn't working right. I'll add it to the list.

-Chilton

Darth Mole
07-30-2006, 01:13 PM
Ooh, cool - thanks. And while you're on, what's all this about?

I was just fiddling with LW's new nodes and APS and all that. Now I have a simple scene (classic teapot) and I'm trying out some displacement, but I'm running out of memory before I can get nice results (the edges of the displacement are all pixellated).

As you can see from the image, it's got less than 200,000 polys but LW is eating up the remainder of my 2GB RAM (there's about 1.7GB free). I've had scenes which had way more polys than this - any idea what's going on?

Oh, and now it's refusing to do anything... I feel a force quit coming on.

Yamba
07-30-2006, 05:16 PM
I had similar problems although the reasons behind it may not be the same as yours but it may be worth a look.

When I imported an simple sphere object into layout, the object had massively increased its polygon count and had tripled, why, I have know idea?

After importing the object have a look at the wireframe and see if your model has done the same thing, I noted that the massive increase in polygons didn't register in the render panel or anywhere else.

To resolve the issue I had to toggle the G Toggle Subpatch button in layouts modeler tools and that seemed to do the trick, be patient with so many polygons it takes a moment or two to convert.

Hope this assists.
Shane

Yamba
07-30-2006, 05:39 PM
PS. You may want to have alook at the following thread:http://newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54833
It may also hold some more answers to your problem.

Regards
Shane

Darth Mole
07-31-2006, 03:59 AM
The problem I have I think is that the jump from Polygon Level 5 to 6 is huge - I switched to normal subpatches and then used Pixels per Polygon instead, which seemd to work better.

There's still much to learn in LW9!

avkills
07-31-2006, 05:24 AM
Turning the Hub off is easier than that thread suggests. Just navigate to your lightwave programs folder and open the LightWave and Modeler cmdLine and put in -0 in each.

v9 has a night and day difference in stability with the Hub disabled. (Dual 2 G5, 3.5GB RAM, X800)

-mark

mike_stening
07-31-2006, 09:13 AM
hmmm, had that same error when trying to render a bottle of beer with water drops on (created in realflow) at A2 size (that'd be 7016x4961 p ixels) now i've got 6.5gb on here so surely it shouldn't run out of ram on that or is it a similar thing to darths, though not running v 9 yet but would be nice to get our high res renders working properly. might just be down to the massive files created by realflow 100mb+ model files.:cry:

:hijack:

MLynch
07-31-2006, 09:37 AM
Turning the Hub off is easier than that thread suggests. Just navigate to your lightwave programs folder and open the LightWave and Modeler cmdLine and put in -0 in each.

v9 has a night and day difference in stability with the Hub disabled. (Dual 2 G5, 3.5GB RAM, X800)

-mark

What about just moving the Hub out of it's Programs folder?

I've created a new folder called ">Removed Programs" and place the Hub in there. This way if I feel I need to use it I can just drop it back in place.