PDA

View Full Version : Help Help my simple character is a menace to LW9 !

andy gee
07-30-2006, 11:54 AM
Hi

I have a scene where my character i posed, the polygon count for the character is 2473216, also it dosent have any real texturing on it yet
every time i load it either in lw9 modeller or lw9 layout and try to either apply new morphs or add morph mixer lw9 starts to slow right down, now this only happens on this model and not the others its very annoying, and i would like to animate him a.s.a.p but not when i have to wait 1 minute each time i try to add or edit something. Also when i do set up for a simple test render it says NOT ENOUGH MEMORY FOR SHADOW BUFFER.

Also i have posted a comment regarding lw9 stability and somebody suggested that i disable the lw hub, could anybody tell me how to do that ?!

also if anybody else has had these sorts of problems, and has any help that would be great, i am in a real fix this is becoming a real pain in the rear.

again any suggestions would be great

Thanks

Andy Gee

Celshader
07-30-2006, 12:11 PM
Also i have posted a comment regarding lw9 stability and somebody suggested that i disable the lw hub, could anybody tell me how to do that ?!

Use a shortcut to launch LightWave. In the shortcut, type " -0" after the path for your lightwave.exe file. For example, if the shortcut says:

C:\NewTek\LightWave9\lightwav.exe

Change it to

C:\NewTek\LightWave9\lightwav.exe -0

If you're already using a shortcut to launch LightWave to redirect your configs, the " -0" can go after the path or after the configs path. So, it's OK to have:

C:\NewTek\LightWave9\lightwav.exe -cC:\NewTek\LightWave9 -0

or

C:\NewTek\LightWave9\lightwav.exe -0 -cC:\NewTek\LightWave9

-+-

Also, if you're using 32-bit WindowsXP, you can add this switch to your boot.ini file to allow 3GB of RAM per process:

/3gb

That will also allow more memory for your work, even if you only have 2GB of RAM. More about setting that up here:
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platform/server/PAE/PAEmem.mspx

...and the effects of the /3GB switch on software like SolidWorks here:
From http://tinyurl.com/covez

"...you do not need 2GB of physical ram to use /3G. You can make the
difference up with swap if needed, you just pay the normal performance
penalty. If that means you can load your drawing without SW crashing it's a
good thing."

-+-

On a side note, how come your character weighs in at 2473216 polys? Any pix? :)

JamesCurtis
07-30-2006, 12:27 PM
Sounds possibly like your character was built with Sub'D or CC's [catmull-clarke] mode in Modeler [hitting Tab Key in either case subdivides poly's by preset value - usually 3] and after saving and loading this into Layout produces even more poly's if the object properties panel is set for options 2 or 3 [Per Polygon Level or Pixels Per Polygon] instead of #1 Per Object Level in the Render Subpatch settings section.

2.5 million polygons is a lot for a character. Most of the ones I create usually have only about 20,000 to 120,000 and that at high detail and SubD'd. Most should be much lower than that.

The high count can also explain why you don't have enough memory for Shadow Buffer. my machine has 2 Gigs of Ram. I'm on PC.

Hope this helps.

andy gee
07-30-2006, 01:42 PM
Hello

okay here are three screen shots of my character

in modeller the polygon count is considerably lower than in layout,

i am in a real fix as to why this character is beating modeller and layout in to

submission.

any suggestions at all on how to fix this problem or any other ideas would be

great, also must note that the rendered image was done with LW9 last

week which was working fine, also i was looking at the select by weight map

in modeller now i dont think that this would change the model in any way

but that was the only thing i toyed with recently.

Thanks

Andy Gee

Celshader
07-30-2006, 01:59 PM
Modeler is showing you the number of unfrozen polygons, whether they are subpatches or regular "face" polytons.

Layout is showing you the number of polygons after Display-Level subdivision occurs.

-+-

Catmull-Clark-type subpatches give you a lot more polys at a subd level of 3 than regular Subpatches. A single "regular" subpatch at a subd level of 3 will give you 18 polygons -- a 3x3 grid that's tripled. A single Catmull-Clark subpatch at a subd level of 3 will give you 128 polygons, since each polygon is subdivided into four polygons three times, then tripled.

If you have about 19,000 CC subpatches, you'll get over 2.4 million polygons in Layout at a subd level of 3. Consider converting the CC subpatches into regular subpatches (in Modeler, select all Subpatches, hit Tab to turn them into Faces, select "Subpatch" as your Sub-D type, then hit Tab to turn the selected Faces into regular Subpatches). Then 19,000 subpatches will become 342,000 polygons or so in Layout at a subd level of 3.

andy gee
07-30-2006, 02:39 PM
Hi

I have just checked my model and they WERE cc polys strange as i

didnt change them to this

thanks

Andy Gee

Celshader
07-30-2006, 02:48 PM
Hi

I have just checked my model and they WERE cc polys strange as i

didnt change them to this

thanks

Andy Gee

All it takes is one tap of the "Tab" key. ;)

andy gee
07-30-2006, 02:59 PM
Hi

ok have sorted out the CC polys and converted them to regular polys but when i press the M for morph button modeller freezes still

i am not familliar with the shortcut tweak to get modeller and layout working better, when i installed LW it created desktop shortcuts that just say layout and modeller where do i start to get the problem fixed ?

thanks

Andy Gee

andy gee
07-30-2006, 03:17 PM
My lord success

All it took was one button, i really cant beleive that i wasted so much time

when all it took was one hit of the tab key.

I havent heared of lightwave 9 converting models from nrmal subpatches to

cc subpatches before !

well its a lesson well learned, my scene now loads and renders normal

even though i did find that i had to hide my characters body, in modeller

so i just had the head to try out and add new morphs.

As for layout, not a problem, just when i was loosing faith in lightwave

it came through. I am still interested in this power increase for modeller and

layout though ???!!!!

thanks

Andy Gee