PDA

View Full Version : Node request: displacement node

duke
07-30-2006, 07:41 AM
-Color input (could be scalar aswell, but you can pipe scalar into color but not color into scalar and have it retain its color info).
-Distort input to pipe in vector info that displaces the color input.
-Scale/Amount - % boost for distortion amount.
-Color output - outputs the displaced/distorted result.

This would be an excellent replacement for Textured Displacement layer - any takers? :)

Lightwolf
07-30-2006, 08:30 AM
I don't think that is currently possible, nodes can't evaluate colours outside of the currently shaded spot.

You could however perturb the U/V Offset, which is at least available in the 2D image node.

Cheers,
Mike

Sensei
07-30-2006, 08:33 AM
-Color input (could be scalar aswell, but you can pipe scalar into color but not color into scalar and have it retain its color info).

Try using Tools > Color Scalar node to convert color to scalar..

Karmacop
07-30-2006, 08:46 AM
This would be an excellent replacement for Textured Displacement layer - any takers? :)
Textured displacement? Pipe the bump channel of the texture into the position input of another, that's all textured displacement is.

Pomfried
07-30-2006, 08:48 AM
If I understood you correctly then that's exactly what I wanted to do the last days.
I played around a bit and finally ended with the attached example.
example.zip is an rendered animation and the other file is the scene with its files.
The only plugin I used are the Renderman Nodes (in this case raindrops).
You can either set the amount of distortion with the scalar node, or with the bump amount in the image/procedural,
which is supposed to distort the final image, but just take a look at it and you will see what I mean.

EDIT: ****, Karmacop was faster :D

duke
07-30-2006, 06:56 PM
So **** obvious - thanks :)