PDA

View Full Version : Incidence angle displacement

Boris Goreta
07-29-2006, 10:41 PM
Can you displace an object using incidence angle from camera ? More displacement on the edges and no displacement in the body of an object depending on the camera view.

jameswillmott
07-29-2006, 11:33 PM
(Assuming you're using LW9?)

I don't believe so. Some things do not exist until rendering has started, which is why for example you can't apply a raytrace node to displacement and get objects to conform to the surface of other objects. You can probably recreate the effect using some vector math though, but you can't just use Incidence Angle from the spot node.

Boris Goreta
07-29-2006, 11:35 PM
Ok, thanks. :(

Karmacop
07-30-2006, 12:33 AM
You can, but as James said you can't use Incidence Angle. Here's some example nodes for you to import and look at. The gradient is just there for fun and lets you do some funky things :)

Boris Goreta
07-30-2006, 12:59 AM
Freaky network . So you are calculating incdence angle all by yourself ? Nice ! Thanks a lot !

Karmacop
07-30-2006, 01:07 AM
Yes. It's strange that it can be conputed but you can't use the incidence angle output ...

evolross
04-28-2011, 02:46 PM
Sweet setup... I just used your node setup in a project I'm working on. I had to remove the invert node and tweak the gradient because I wanted displacement in the middle of the object and not along the edge.

Works great. Incidence-based displacement!