PDA

View Full Version : Noob node question

Atlantis_C
07-29-2006, 08:52 PM
I've loaded an image of bricks.jpg onto the image editor and assigned it to the model surface. Then went into the node mode to work on the texture properties. I can get the node editor to work and can get some textures to show up in the node editor.

But, I can't get the node changes to show up in the modeler and on the model itself. And I do have "texture" chosen in the perspective window.

How do you get your node settings to "set" into the model's texture? I can't use procedural textures because I need to export my models for use in a game.

jameswillmott
07-29-2006, 11:35 PM
Node based surfaces don't show up in Modeler's preview's yet, nor in Layout.

Atlantis_C
07-30-2006, 03:17 PM
Maybe I don't understand, but how do you see/render it then?

dgon64
07-30-2006, 04:08 PM
You see your surfaces best in Layout with Viper. Modeler will only display a "stand-in" version of your texture. Load your model in Layout-hit [F5] Surface Editor, [F7] Viper and [F9] for an initial render that gets Viper going. Play with your surfaces to see any changes in Viper but I'm not sure how or if your image will display in Viper preview but they should show up in your render [F9] if applied properly. Hope this helps at least a little.

jameswillmott
07-30-2006, 04:57 PM
Don't forget, you have to turn nodes on in the Surface Editor too. ( Little box next to Edit Nodes )

Atlantis_C
07-30-2006, 06:22 PM
I think I'm having a problem with my Lightwave. Lightwave 8.5 models worked fine in the game engine, but version 9 textures aren't even showing up (I'm not using nodes at this point).

Yes, I did have the nodes turned on in the surface editor. The above problem can be what's causeing a problem with the nodes showing up.

I did try reinstalling Lightwave, but the problem persists.

jameswillmott
07-30-2006, 07:13 PM
Game Engine?

Atlantis_C
07-30-2006, 07:25 PM
The game engine is http://www.beyondvirtual.com/ The engine was basically designed to work with Lightwave. LW 8.5 and BV went perfectly together.

I retried a few basic models and as long as the node box is unchecked the textures will work.

JamesCurtis
07-30-2006, 08:50 PM
It makes sense that they would not show if the Node box was checked as this tells the object surface to use the nodes specifically for any surfacing [color, diffuse, bump, transparency, etc] that is connected to items in the node surface editor.