PDA

View Full Version : Struggling Student Soliciting Snappy Solutions!

mjcrawford
07-29-2006, 12:31 PM
This term in my school we will be creating textures in Photoshop, putting them on objects in our 3d program of choice, (I will be using lightwave9, of course) and importing the objects into Unreal Tournament 2k4. I am looking forward to doing this but I have a question:

I have never played UT2k4 and just bought a copy of the editorís choice edition from EBay and it should arrive any day now. Obviously I have never imported an object from Lightwave to UT. Does anyone know if I need to get a 3rd party plug-in or something to save a Lightwave object into a format that can be used in UT2k4? How hard is this to do? Are there any restrictions I need to be aware of? (I.E. poly count, subpatches, 3pt vs. 4pt polys, etc)

Any information and advice will be greatly appreciated.

avkills
07-29-2006, 01:08 PM
You should probably email someone at Epic games; they would probably know the answer. You might give the forums there a try also.

-mark

Earl
07-29-2006, 02:23 PM
This is a bit dated, so I don't know if it will still work or not. But it could be worth a try...
http://www.flay.com/GetDetail.cfm?ID=1180

oDDity
07-29-2006, 05:12 PM
Haven't done characters for UT for about 2 years now, but it's pretty simple. As for most engines you need a triangulated mesh, for UT a 1024x1024 texture for the body, and a 512x512 texture for the head is normal. THere is no real time lighing in it, so everything has to be painted on to the color map.
Poly limits for characters are around 3000. FOr static objects, most textures seemed to be 1024. You can even bake lighting onto the textures for static objects.
It takes lwo objects directly for static meshes.
There are some good video tuts at 3dbuzz for the UT engine.

mjcrawford
07-29-2006, 05:26 PM
thanks oDDity, I appreacate the detailed information, I will check out 3dbuzz.

thank you also Earl, the site you mentioned does have a plugin, but it is for 7.0 :(

oDDity, when you say a triangulated mesh, am I correct in assuming that means that all polys must be 3 sided?

And while lwo will work for a static object (I assume that means not character objects) is there a special format for characters?

again thanks for the info!

Bog
07-29-2006, 05:34 PM
the site you mentioned does have a plugin, but it is for 7.0

You should never assume that a plugin won't work, just because it's for a previous version. Wait for it to break first! ;)

mjcrawford
07-29-2006, 06:06 PM
You should never assume that a plugin won't work, just because it's for a previous version. Wait for it to break first! ;)

sound advice Bog... I should have thought of that!