PDA

View Full Version : Newtek: Do not forget the Guerilla Studio this year!

beverins
07-29-2006, 11:09 AM
According to people who were here last year, Newtek didn't get Lightwave installed until DAY 4 of SIGGRAPH 2005. :cursin: According to the people I talked to from the guerilla studio from 2005 who went to the LW booth to complain about this, got the distinct impression that Newtek "didn't care".

This is my first year here in the studio. I'm here on Saturday, seeing you guys setup and install down in the expo floor... but you really should come up to the guerilla studio before Sunday's opening time and get Lightwave installed up here. :help:

Take it seriously. This is not a "oh, yeah, whatever" sort of thing. This is not a "we don't have the manpower, everyone's too busy" sort of thing. If you want people to use your software, you have to advertise it. Sorry to the hard working people here in Boston, but drag yourself up by your bootstraps and make the time to get yourself up here and install Lightwave. Say "try out our software in the Guerilla Studio" in your presentations. You have no laurels to rest on. To think that you do not need to do this is a failure to recognize that your product is fighting tooth and nail with the other 3D packages out there. Every little bit helps. Consider this your 2nd priority after you get your expo booth setup and working. :twak: If you'd like, I'll help install if need be. Just come up here.

There are 12 machines in the Animation Pod area and 12-14 more in the 3D / RP area, not to mention 10 Macintosh Intel iMacs.

Additionally, you might also want to install any beta copies of SpeedEdit you might have. Advertise that as "try it out in the guerilla studio" as well. I'm sure some people here could use a VT4 system too, but I think getting Lightwave up in here is more important.

Marjan Moghaddam is in the rear/center of the studio with a presentation called Iterated 69 Sessions which uses Lightwave. Represent! Comon, Newtek in da HOUuuZE! :thumbsup:

Chuck
07-29-2006, 12:05 PM
According to people who were here last year, Newtek didn't get Lightwave installed until DAY 4 of SIGGRAPH 2005. :cursin: According to the people I talked to from the guerilla studio from 2005 who went to the LW booth to complain about this, got the distinct impression that Newtek "didn't care".

This is my first year here in the studio. I'm here on Saturday, seeing you guys setup and install down in the expo floor... but you really should come up to the guerilla studio before Sunday's opening time and get Lightwave installed up here. :help:

Take it seriously. This is not a "oh, yeah, whatever" sort of thing. This is not a "we don't have the manpower, everyone's too busy" sort of thing. If you want people to use your software, you have to advertise it. Sorry to the hard working people here in Boston, but drag yourself up by your bootstraps and make the time to get yourself up here and install Lightwave. Say "try out our software in the Guerilla Studio" in your presentations. You have no laurels to rest on. To think that you do not need to do this is a failure to recognize that your product is fighting tooth and nail with the other 3D packages out there. Every little bit helps. Consider this your 2nd priority after you get your expo booth setup and working. :twak: If you'd like, I'll help install if need be. Just come up here.

There are 12 machines in the Animation Pod area and 12-14 more in the 3D / RP area, not to mention 10 Macintosh Intel iMacs.

Additionally, you might also want to install any beta copies of SpeedEdit you might have. Advertise that as "try it out in the guerilla studio" as well. I'm sure some people here could use a VT4 system too, but I think getting Lightwave up in here is more important.

Marjan Moghaddam is in the rear/center of the studio with a presentation called Iterated 69 Sessions which uses Lightwave. Represent! Comon, Newtek in da HOUuuZE! :thumbsup:

The folks telling you that there was a delay in getting LightWave installed on the GS systems last year due to any lack of interest or effort on NewTek's part are mistaken. SpeedEdit is not in release yet, so I'm not sure the Video Team would want to provide beta software to the Studio, but I'll pass the idea along.

Martin Adams
07-29-2006, 04:27 PM
What's the Guerilla Studio?

beverins
07-30-2006, 02:00 PM
Guerilla Studio is a workshop area where you can learn new technologies on hand. You dont have to have anyone show you a demo, you can learn the software yourself.

As of Sunday 4pm this was a 3D STudio-only Studio, with some Rhino thrown in. I suggest someone call a guy on the show floor to get some Lightwave representation up in here.

Also, at 4:30pm today will be a Lightwave-created animation presentation "Iterated 69". It also plays on Monday and Tuesday at 5:00pm. Runs for about 30 minutes.

Exception
07-30-2006, 02:02 PM
The folks telling you that there was a delay in getting LightWave installed on the GS systems last year due to any lack of interest or effort on NewTek's part are mistaken.

Why was that then?
I think Beverins needs an answer rather than a denial, no, chuck?

beverins
07-30-2006, 03:57 PM
5:44pm here in the GS. Maybe someone snuck in and installed something? Still don't see a single indication that LW has been installed; i.e. every machine has a list of what's on it, perhaps someone forgot to write it down?

Sorry to be sarcastic and coarse.. but I really grow tired of seeing 3DStudio and Maya as the default 3D app. Yes, its the artist and not the tools and all that. If, however, that argument is used then the thought that comes to mind is "why even bother"? Don't you want Lightwave instead to be considered a default 3D app? Why was Autodesk able to get their stuff populated up here by 1pm? I know you're short on staff. They're tired (already! I was here on Saturday from 9am to 10pm. Repeated that today, trying to help setup this Iterated 69 sessions. Haven't eaten since 8am. You wanna know tired?) I know they're harried and frustrated, trying to setup the newtek booth and bugtesting it. That's why there are these red-vested student volunteers. Run up, throw a disk at the sys admin with some serial numbers and dongles, have them sign some forms or whatever it takes to get the stuff registered, and run back down to continue setup. The Guerilla Studio staff will make sure the stuff is installed. Then, you can even advertise "try out LW for yourself!"

I know you guys are trying, but its hard to be an evangelist when the support seems lukewarm.

Rich
07-30-2006, 04:17 PM
I'm about to head to Siggraph in about 12 hours. Gonna be a long trip from NC but I will check out this booth when I get there. What other apps besides Maya, Max do you have installed? Any chance of Mudbox being available?

beverins
07-30-2006, 04:32 PM
As far as I know we have 3DS, Maya and Rhino, and Adobe CS2. There's a network render system for Maya called TetraGrid. We have a motioncapture system, 2D and 3D printing, as well as lenticular printing and stop-motion animation so far.

Don't see any mudbox betas here, sadly.

Kurtis
07-31-2006, 05:04 AM
NewTek has not forgotten the Guerilla Studio and does not consider it an "oh yeah, whatever" situation. Last year, we provided them with 100 dongles for use in the studio, and this year we provided them with the new 30-day trial edition, so it could be installed on an unlimited number of machines. Most members of the booth staff are not familiar with all the SIGGRAPH proceedings. Many of them are only here for the three days of the exhibition. In addition, in past years, including last year, we have invited a number of non-employee guest artists to assist in staffing the booth. Most likely, if an attendee talked to someone at our booth last year and felt there was no interest, it was simply a lack of awareness on the part of the staffer, especially since we do not perform the actual software installations in the studio. The message did get to those that were aware of the studio though, and we sent someone over to work with the studio to get the situation corrected.

NewTek does not install software in the Guerilla Studio. Per their request, we provide them with software and keys, and they install our software themselves. This was the case last year as well. We have been in contact with the head of the Guerilla Studios for quite a while, and as soon as LightWave v9 was released, we provided him with the new LightWave v9 software and one of our new 30-day Trial Edition keys for use on as many systems as he wished, so access to LightWave by studio artists would not be limited by dongle availability. I've seen the head of the Guerilla Studio walk by our booth several times in the last few days, and he has not told us of any difficulties they are experiencing with the software. If you are unable to find LightWave on the system you are trying to use, please talk to the people running the Guerilla Studios for assistance. I have also asked a member of our Dev team that is here to go talk with the head of the Guerilla Studios about the situation this morning.

Kurtis
07-31-2006, 05:08 AM
Why was that then?

It is an answer. We do not perform software installations in the Guerilla Studio.

private
07-31-2006, 07:06 AM
we provided him with the new LightWave v9 software and one of our new 30-day Trial Edition

So the holy grail does exist. Why isn't this on the front page and littered all over the forums and posted where people can see it? People have been asking for a trial version, and it's been rumoured to be available "soon."

Don't you want this available to the masses? They come to this site every day.

UnCommonGrafx
07-31-2006, 07:14 AM
No Doubt! Push people into your booth by letting them play in the studio. This year, I'm gonna really play with stuff!!

Looking forward to meeting you, Kurtis.

In Buffalo and on the way!

T-Light
07-31-2006, 07:30 AM
private-

So the holy grail does exist. Why isn't this on the front page and littered all over the forums and posted where people can see it?
I think the trial version is available for Newtek's LW customers (pre 9) at the moment. It was said a week or two ago that the trial version for everyone would be available soon, I'm guessing after Siggy. The thing I'm really looking forward to is LW trials appearing on magazine cover disks alongside (if poss) short movie clips made with the software, that kind of coverage should push LW into a much larger market, I'm not alone in thinking it deserves it.

ps 'Holy Grail', I like it :D,

beverins
07-31-2006, 07:49 AM
Thank you, I will indeed look around for it. Hoperfully they got around to installing it today.

beverins
07-31-2006, 07:55 AM
Not really germane to this thread topic, but I didnt want to start another one - and no, it doesn't have anything to do with Newtek directly; I thought it some interesting trivia - The Siggraph store that has all the books, DVDs and the like- not even a whiff of Lightwave tutorials or books, save for art books which have images which had LW play a part. Maybe have someone seed the LW demo there or something, I dunno.

Kurtis
07-31-2006, 08:10 AM
Deuce has been in there this morning. Apparently, there was a conflict between the disk imaging method they use to install software and the way our new Trial Edition works, which we are now aware of. Deuce has corrected the issue on a number of their machines this morning, and will go back later today or tomorrow morning to correct the rest, if possible.

Chuck
07-31-2006, 09:04 AM
Why was that then?

When I get time I will look up the discussion from last year that explains more fully what went on then, so my apologies to anyone who is impatient for a full explanation as opposed to a quick comment that the information given about last year was, to my immediate recollection, incorrect. In any case, there is a bit of an indication on that in the information Kurtis has provided.

Just for the record, I did in fact send an inquiry immediately after reading and replying to the post, to the staff who would have been communicating this year with the folks running the Guerilla Studio. I received this response:

Deuce Bennett has already provided the Guerilla Studio staff with software and keys for the 30-day Trial Edition.

All I can speak for is this year and last year, but we do not perform software installation in the Guerilla Studio. They request software and keys, and then they do the installations themselves. My understanding is that this is done by installing on one machine and then creating a disk image which is replicated to other machines.

Last year, we provided them with 100 dongles. This year, Deuce provided them with LightWave v9 and a 30-day Trial Edition key.

The head of the studio has not informed Deuce that he was having any problems, and he's walked by our booth many times in the last few days, never stopping to tell us of any difficulties or problems with the software. I will ask Deuce to stop by and talk to them though.

For several years prior to Kurtis becoming the contact for Guerilla Studio, I was the contact. During those years as well the procedure was the same - the vendors supply the product sufficient to cover all or some subset of the machines in the Studio, and the GS staff installs the products, usually from a single disk image they've created.

Riplakish
07-31-2006, 07:00 PM
A more important question on Siggraph... Is there going to be a get together, dinner, etc.? I looked through the BOF sessions, and didn't see anything that said "Newtek" or "Lightwave".

I'm trying to decide if I want to take a day (or afternoon) off from work Wednesday or Thursday to drive in to Boston (live up in Lowell, work in Boxboro)... Wednesday's looking interesting because the MIT guys are showing off their robots (yet ANOTHER side hobby), but it'd be cool to meet up with some LW people - even if they aren't local.

UnCommonGrafx
07-31-2006, 10:02 PM
Two parties, no less.

Check the Newletter. You in Boston from the UK?

Chuck
08-01-2006, 09:01 AM
NewTek Events both Tuesday and Wednesday; details in the newsletter here:

LightWave 3D Newsletter for SIGGRAPH 2006 (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54545)

Mattoo
08-01-2006, 12:43 PM
Heheh, looks like Autodesk has it in the bag as usual. I know some guys from Autodesk marketing who are out there now - they are monsters in human form. You guys have got to get dirty - fight fire with fire and all that.

Seriously, they are evil people. I'm not kidding.

Riplakish
08-01-2006, 09:21 PM
Two parties, no less.

Check the Newletter. You in Boston from the UK?

Nope. Outside of Boston. I live up in the Lowell/Nashua area.

I'll have to see if I can slip out early Wednesday. Had school tonight (Tuesday), so I couldn't make the Aquarium if I wanted to. I've always wanted to try the F1 racing... Only downside is that you have to make a decent effort to get in ;D

Worst case, if I don't make SIGGRAPH this year, I'll have to harass the company in to sending me next year, as I'm starting to do training videos for the engineers w/Lightwavel

Paul Goodrich
08-01-2006, 09:30 PM
Hey Guys,
Was at the Guerilla Studio this morning and Duece kicked me off my machine to install Lightwave. He was madly putting it on all of the machines he could get his hands on. BTW he said that the Gueriila studio had the softwave a mounth ago. Just goes to show you, if you want it done - you gotta do it yourself.
Paul Goodrich
NYC LWUG

Mattoo
08-01-2006, 09:44 PM
Hey Guys,
Was at the Guerilla Studio this morning and Duece kicked me off my machine to install Lightwave. He was madly putting it on all of the machines he could get his hands on. BTW he said that the Gueriila studio had the softwave a mounth ago. Just goes to show you, if you want it done - you gotta do it yourself.
Paul Goodrich
NYC LWUG

You don't have to do it yourself if you play dirty like everyone else. There's two reasons why all the other software was on those machines - either the Autodesk boys incessantly nagged those Guerrilla guys to make sure their stuff was on there. Or, the other reason might have involved financial incentives.

Remember, those Autodesk marketeers are numerous and well funded, not to mention paid on commission.

UnCommonGrafx
08-01-2006, 09:56 PM
Here's my take on it.
I watched some guys doing stuff in max and maya and I have to tell ya: I LIKE MODELER.
Proxy modelling, while it may be good, is not artistic. And while I watched them do their 3d voodoo, I have to tell you I fell in like with modeler, again. There are tools I want, YES, but I'm not in need of another modeller.

Too bad you missed the party, Riplakish, it was a nice gathering. The free {burrrrp} beer and wine was a kicker! The food was a nice filler, as well.

While in the Guerilla studio, asking about zbrush info, everyone seems to only ask if I used max or maya. Looking them in the eye, no hesitation, I said, "No, I use LightWave". I'm tellin' ya, they looked... annoyed and afraid. LW coming back to recognition is NOT what they want. Kick'em in the teeth, I say.

I'm glad I came to beautiful Boston.

colkai
08-02-2006, 03:21 AM
LW - the bad boy of 3D, I like that. :)

Kuzey
08-02-2006, 03:46 AM
Yeah...I wouldn't be surprised if money did change hands :thumbsdow

They should get Proton on a computer there a.s.p and create a cool character in front of their eyes... :thumbsup: :lwicon: :thumbsup:

Kuzey

Chuck
08-02-2006, 09:06 AM
Thank you to Beverins for giving us a head's up on this issue, and to the folks who've provided additional info from their stops at the Studio! :)

Celshader
08-02-2006, 09:25 AM
Thank you to Beverins for giving us a head's up on this issue, and to the folks who've provided additional info from their stops at the Studio! :)

Thank you for making sure LightWave's on those machines! ...though after Mattoo's warnings, I'm worried. Any chance someone could periodically check to make sure LightWave's still installed at the Guerrilla Studio for the rest of SIGGRAPH? I'm irrationally concerned that Autodesk bullies might uninstall all the LightWaves on those machines when NewTek's looking in another direction.

Wishing NewTek great success at SIGGRAPH...

:goodluck:

Karmacop
08-02-2006, 09:46 AM
LW - the bad boy of 3D, I like that. :)
Lightwave: The 3D software you don't want your teenage daughter to date ;)

savadious
08-02-2006, 04:41 PM
I'm irrationally concerned that Autodesk bullies might uninstall all the LightWaves on those machines when NewTek's looking in another direction.

Wishing NewTek great success at SIGGRAPH...

:goodluck:

I just left the NewTek booth and am in the G. Studio right now. Lightwave 9 is alive and well here. I had one of the vendors do a 3d scan of my face and now im making myself in Lightwave.. so if anyone else in G. Studio is reading this - stop by and say HI to the guy with a ponytail wearing a Northshore Hawaii white t-shirt with 3 red surfboard on it.

G-studio is closed now so only us volunteers are here - easy to find me.

Dylan

archiea
08-02-2006, 11:45 PM
...so if anyone else in G. Studio is reading this - stop by and say HI to the guy with a ponytail wearing a Northshore Hawaii white t-shirt with 3 red surfboard on it.
Dylan

Dude, you've just described, like, half the people tha attend siggraph!! :D

Lord Snarebotto
08-03-2006, 11:20 AM
Dude, you've just described, like, half the people tha attend siggraph!! :D
I had no idea North Shore Hawaii t-shirts were so popular!

Humuhumunukunukuapu'aa :neener:

Bog
08-03-2006, 08:19 PM
LW presence in the Guerilla Studio was good'n'strong by my eye, too.

beverins
08-04-2006, 08:48 PM
Well, I'm back from Siggraph. I must apologize, I suppose, to the harsh tone in my first post. I very much thank Deuce for going up there and taking the time out to accomplish the install! :rock: :rock: :I_Love_Ne

And the bookstore did finally get one LW book in - the Introduction to LW 8 book (the long wide one, can't be bothered to look up the publisher - it has the marvelous image if the TajMahal on the cover). I was disappointed that Digital Tutors didn't stock their LW video (I know they have one), and I was also disappointed that AsileFX didn't have a presence there either.

If anyone saw the Iterated 69 Sessions (the videos were also playing on my tabletPC) next to the PhaseSpace mocap booth - if you have any reviews or opinions of the work done there, post here, since it seems to be the best place (guerilla studio discussion). All the animations were generated with LW, and LW only. No post work. Editing done on Premiere, but if I could have used SpeedEdit, I would have used that :D :thumbsup: I think we got the presentation pretty well nailed on wednesday, so that was good. Sunday's performance was marred by bugs and isn't worth mentioning LOL

I stopped by the Newtek booth on Wed and Thursday. Andy gave me a personal large screen tutorial at 3:10pm on Thursday, which was great (well, I mean, there was nobody else sitting there at the booth :D ). He sure knows how to demo Lightwave; it didn't look like he even paused to take a breath at times. I hope you got him his weight in beers at least for his unflagging work there. :beerchug: Aside from Proton, Andy is the best presenter you have. I suggest you shower him with gifts - shower Proton with gifts too. In fact, the entire Newtek presentation team should get a week off...

Other impressions with Siggraph - I liked the new Vue 6 from what I saw, and the ClayTools modeler with their haptic interface was fairly nice, though as I used it I kept wishing that I could use it with Modeler directly. There was one developer along the edge that had some Lightwave plugins, but when I went there all the people manning the booth had gone somewhere else. It was demoing some physics plugins I think - something with the Newtek P41.lwo flying about. If anyone has any more info on them, I'd appreciate. I also visited the QUBE booth. I hope others did the same and ask for Lightwave. The guy I talked to seemed a bit snippy that I didn't ask him about Maya or 3DS. He admitted he didn't have Lightwave installed, so he had to show me some of the renderfarm's utility for Maya and Toxik, and was one of the few presenters that gave off the vibe of wanting me to leave (not that I was irritating... :thumbsup:)

One niggle about the guerilla studio, which I can understand, but still... I tried to leave some renderings running after hours on LW and when I came back they were always cancelled and LW unbooted. I know its to free up the stations, and that rendering would prevent others from using the machines if everyone was rendering, etc. but I really didn't see the studio being used heavily after 6pm and I had set the render at 9pm. I came back at 8am, and nothing was there... Oh well. c'est la vie. Would have been nice to use their TeraGrid for rendering, but that was a Maya pipeline.

And just wondering. Who was giving out the demo disks? I didn't score a single one. Would have liked to pass those around to the students where I work. I guess I can order them, but would have been easier since I was there. Oh well. No biggie.

We shall see if I am able to pester y'all once again in 2007 :D