PDA

View Full Version : Is this possible to set SubPatch level with nodes?

Edu
07-29-2006, 06:02 AM
Mhhh... is there any way to set the SubPatch level with nodes?...

I've for example, a "dots" displacement procedural surface edited via nodes, and I want to get the higher level of tetail on the subpatch, only where de "dots" are applied on the surface.

It would be simpler, copying the entire set of surface nodes and pasting in a rheoretical Render Subpatch level node editor... but by now, I've only found the Texture Editor to set the level of detail.

Maybe I'm missing something or there is another way to get the same results... any idea?

Thanks!

DragonFist
07-29-2006, 06:25 AM
I don't think so at this time as nodes aren't attached to textures you can use for this. Stuck with layers for this at this time.

I would not doubt that it will be moved to this area at some point in the future though.

What I would do here is from within the node editor, I would use a scalar layer node to set up the dots and then copy that to the texture of the subpatch.

warrenwc
07-29-2006, 12:51 PM
I'm pretty sure subpatch levels can only be set per object.
I can forsee some pretty strange artifacts otherwise.
But setting a low level in the "pixels per polygon" is pretty effective.

CMT
07-31-2006, 11:18 AM
Go to the Lightwave 9 videos page (link below) and scroll down to the displacement maps from zbrush tutorial. There's a place in that tutorial that addresses that issue. It shows how to control the level of detail based on the values of the displacement map. Works like a charm!

http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/videos.php

Edu
07-31-2006, 12:06 PM
thanks!