PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave 9 T-Shirt?

Chris S. (Fez)
07-28-2006, 05:45 PM
How about selling some spiffy red T-shirts online?

WilliamVaughan
07-28-2006, 07:37 PM
I cant wait to see what the show shirts are going to look like...I hear they are pretty cool!

Earl
07-28-2006, 08:00 PM
shirts? What about hats? My old black LW hat is showing its age. I need a new one!!! :lwicon:

I should have ordered two...

GCL
07-28-2006, 08:16 PM
shirts? What about hats? My old black LW hat is showing its age. I need a new one!!! :lwicon:

I should have ordered two...

Hats ! Several years ago (while still available) I delayed buying it then gone !
Had to find one on eBay and paid $30.
However, what gets me is every year at SIGGraph, Newtek live streaming would show Proton, et al, giving away hats as prizes, etc. That in itself tells me that hats ARE available but not for public consumption.
I do hope they come out with one and nice shirts as well.

Andyjaggy
07-28-2006, 09:03 PM
Oh do post a link when and if these are available I would for sure buy one.

DiedonD
07-29-2006, 02:36 AM
Oh do post a link when and if these are available I would for sure buy one.

And hopefully they could ship it to me in Europe.

Will any Newtek official have a say on this one. Speaking on their behalf and their good, we are talking about people that want to advertise your company in the US and beyond for free. I could use anything with Newtek logo on it. I also travel alot, and could cary it with me at all times if theres something like a watch or so. It seems cost effective. And I personally would be proud to carry it out with me. So why dont you? Im curious economically speaking.

SCS5
07-29-2006, 06:00 AM
Newtek's marketing is non-existent. I don't see any adds for Lightwave or VT4 in any of the trade magazines. When I read shootout reviews on Editing hardware & software the VT is never covered in the shootout! At the trade shows, most of the people at the booths are Newtek users, not new customers. Because there's no marketing!
I worked for a company (Microtime) in the mid eighties demoing and training people on our proprietary 3D Animation Systems $75,000- $150,000. We had a great marketing department, Adds in the trades, Etc. . We had a huge demo to sales ratio ( 75%). Then we got a new President at the company. He fired all the top brass in the company, hired his own people & quit all advertising in the trade mags:thumbsdow The new director of marketing (My Boss) was an idiot! At the trade shows people would see my demos and say WOW! this software is incredible, how come I've never heard of it?!.. I'd refer them to my "new" director of marketing, who didn't have a [email protected]%#^$^..Like I said, IDIOT!
They took a company who had been a leader in the industry for 20 years and bankrupt it in 3 years. BAD ADVERTISING!
I'm not saying Newtek's going out of business, but, shameless self promotion's a GOOD THING! Do Advertising, & make teeshirts. It makes a difference!

Kuzey
07-29-2006, 06:37 AM
SCS5,

As you can tell from Proton's post there will be T-shirts and probably many more things as well.

Anybody have a snapshot of that hat ??

Kuzey

SCS5
07-29-2006, 06:48 AM
SCS5,

As you can tell from Proton's post there will be T-shirts and probably many more things as well.

Kuzey

I'm talking about more than just teeshirts! ......On that note, don't make the shirts so expensive that no one buys them. You make more money making something affordable than making it expensive.....Common sense?

Kuzey
07-29-2006, 06:57 AM
Well...I guess they are waiting it to be an official release first....eg:

Launch at a big event like SIGGraph perhaps, either way they have said there are more things coming as far as promotions go. Infact, I would say they just tipped their toes in the water up to now and are getting ready for the big jump in :D

Kuzey

SCS5
07-29-2006, 06:58 AM
Let's Hope!:D

DiedonD
07-29-2006, 07:23 AM
Ok, there just must be a Marketing strategy. And if there isnt one there has to be one. I keep hearing maya, maya, maya, maya. And 3ds max, and 3d cinema, Blender and whatever else. And their marketing is like they just slap a huge evil creature in a Kung Fu style pose, and right near that theres Maya for instance. Now, people like us now for sure that its in the artist to move points and polys to a certain place so as it looks like evil creature or anyshape at all for that matter.
But a newcomer doesnt knows that yet. He may just think its all in the software. He may find out later the above fact, but by then he may have already bought a 3d software. Of course, maya having the reputation of "You have to go at least to a course to learn it properly" may shock the client later on, but the transaction is already made.

Now Newtek, beats Maya in easiness at learning LW. But you dont hear that do you?! No, the only adv Newtek has is through 3rd party DVD and Booksellers, like Dan Ablan. Take me for instance, (And there should a research on this area for "How does the decision to by W came to being) the only reason why Im here today and speaking with you about this now, is because in Lightwave 7 where Dan speaks about motion capture (My field of interest then) it wrote "International Best Seller", this and the fact that LW's color was blue and Maya was red, were THEEE only reasons why Im now a Lightwaver! Now isnt that a highly narrow line between deciding between the two?

Why wasnt there and adv like "WANNA LEARN 3D?! Well step right in and look at LW, it is recognized for being the easiest learning software among other major 3d softwares, and can do whatever they do as well" or such. Wouldnt that made my or the next newcomers decision to get into LW a more easier one?

Now were are the t-shirts? :D

Kuzey
07-29-2006, 07:51 AM
There was a thread somewhere on the forum about the the print ads turning up and that was like two months ago, so they have started :hey:

As for the t-shirts, I think Proton's William toon model would make a cool t-shirt, mascot kinda thingy :D

Also, you'll have to take into account that there has been a logo change and they are probably waiting for SIGGraph to get that out there as well.

Kuzey

GCL
07-29-2006, 10:57 AM
SCS5,

Kuzey

There you go ! Took some time and effort finding it. That is, finding it out there and buying it. However, it is kept in a sealed bag as much as I would wear it. Once (BIG IF) there made available, I'll wear one most of the time.

Well...I guess they are waiting it to be an official release first....eg:
Launch at a big event like SIGGraph perhaps, either way they have said there are more things coming as far as promotions go. Infact, I would say they just tipped their toes in the water up to now and are getting ready for the big jump in.

AND

Also, you'll have to take into account that there has been a logo change and they are probably waiting for SIGGraph to get that out there as well.

Kuzey

Well, it will be hard to tell if anything is being offered since there will be no "live" streaming. Won't be able to see any goodies being presented. Will be all word of mouth and hopefuly on Newtek's web site.

beverins
07-29-2006, 11:13 AM
I find that there being no live streaming to be incredibly ironic for a system that's advertised to be able to stream live.

Hey, sorry - I know they've done it in the past. Thing is, they need to keep doing it. I make you a bet its licensing problems and not their ability, but still they should live stream regardless.

Don't make me have to stand in front of the booth all day and tape you guys. Cos I will.

Bog
07-29-2006, 01:33 PM
I know it's crass and crude, but I sorely miss my old P*ss Off I'm Coding shirt from about, what, LW6.

That was wonderful, and it answered 98.27%* of all questions in the workplace by just turning my back on people.

*Percentile may be arbitrarily made up.

Kuzey
07-30-2006, 03:14 AM
There you go ! Took some time and effort finding it. That is, finding it out there and buying it. However, it is kept in a sealed bag as much as I would wear it. Once (BIG IF) there made available, I'll wear one most of the time.

Ooooooh.....That's cool, Thanks GCL!!!

So I guess the LW logo did change over time :D

As far as promotions go, I would take advantage of Proton's position at Newtek and Dave's school eg.

I would produce a special 2 dvd set, one which contains the shorts made at Dave's school along with LW demo reel, student demo reels. Second dvd would have the LW demo, content and tutorials etc. so people could start playing with it straight away. Send those to schools, all kinds of studios etc.

I'd would also do one with Jonny Gorden and his studio :D

These kinds of partnerships would be win - win, everyone gets promoted and the love of LW is spread around :thumbsup:

But that's just me.

Kuzey

Brian Arndt
07-31-2006, 08:40 AM
There will be photos up on the website as soon as I get them!
I'm sure there will be people wearing the hats/shirts in the pics.