PDA

View Full Version : OT: Good Photoshop books?

Lord Snarebotto
07-28-2006, 11:10 AM
I want to get a good photoshop book. I know most of the basics, and want to get up to speed on some out-of-the-box type techniques.

I know I can probably get stuff like this online, but a book offers a more structured approach and answer questions you might not have thought to ask.

Thank in advance!

warrenwc
07-28-2006, 11:34 AM
If you want a great masking & compositing resource ;
Photoshop Masking & Compositing by Katrin Eismann is excellent &
VERY thorough.
If you really want to get advanced, try
Photoshop LAB Color by Dan Margulis
I'd say it's the most useful book on color in PS I've found.
I consider BOTH a must.
Also The Photoshop Channels Book by Scott Kelby is really handy if you need some help with channel operations.
(If you don't understand that last sentence, you do!)

adrian
07-28-2006, 11:40 AM
Also, Total Training has a VERY comprehensive training DVD set for Photoshop - ok, it's not a book but I prefer this way of learning.

Lord Snarebotto
07-28-2006, 11:45 AM
If you want a great masking & compositing resource ;
Photoshop Masking & Compositing by Katrin Eismann is excellent &
VERY thorough.
If you really want to get advanced, try
Photoshop LAB Color by Dan Margulis
I'd say it's the most useful book on color in PS I've found.
I consider BOTH a must.
Also The Photoshop Channels Book by Scott Kelby is really handy if you need some help with channel operations.
(If you don't understand that last sentence, you do!)

Exactly the type of stuff I'm looking for! Many thanks. :thumbsup:

Lord Snarebotto
07-28-2006, 11:46 AM
Also, Total Training has a VERY comprehensive training DVD set for Photoshop - ok, it's not a book but I prefer this way of learning.

Thanks. I'm sure this works for a lot of people, but I find books much better for my learning style.

Penforhire
07-28-2006, 02:37 PM
I like Kelby's stuff but it tends to be a bit fluffy. I also like Adobe's own "Classroom in a Book" series. You can usually find the prior revision at a very heavy discount and its content will still apply. If you're talking Photoshop for photography then Martin Evening is the author I like best (though I don't know if he's updated his classic text lately).

Eldorado
07-30-2006, 12:40 PM
I'd go with the Photoshop Bible it has every thing you need to know.

jthompson3d
08-01-2006, 02:42 PM
The Photoshop book I learned the most from ever is the Photoshop WoW books. :thumbsup:

Used it in college from basic to advanced advanced stuff. Very sweet book.

IT'S A MUST HAVE. :rock: