PDA

View Full Version : Has anybody else seen this yet???

aurora
07-28-2006, 09:07 AM
While I was working on a review of LW9, I ran into an extremely cool feature but I have no idea where it came from. I have plans to write one all layed out but as far as I can remember I have not written a line of code for it yet.
So if anybody knows where I got it I would appreciate a heads up till then I bask in the glory of a dream :cheers:

http://www.auroragrafx.com/images/Posting/HVNodal.jpg

I have not turned the hidden features on (at least intentionally).

colkai
07-28-2006, 09:18 AM
Are you sure you don't have some plugin demo called Nodal on your system Tim? Certainly no instance of this on my LW9 RC23

lion111
07-28-2006, 09:19 AM
you are lucky
havent found it

UnCommonGrafx
07-28-2006, 09:23 AM
I hope they let you stay on that special tier though you are spilling the beans early, it would seem.

;)

Me no have.

aurora
07-28-2006, 09:26 AM
Nope Colkai nailed it on the head. Its the old Nodal version pre-LW9. I could have sowrn I removed that plugin way back in LW8.5 since it was causing issues. Forgot I even had it.

aurora
07-28-2006, 09:47 AM
The good news is it shows that writting a node editor for HV's should be possible now!!

avkills
07-28-2006, 10:06 AM
That would be nice to have! Where does one aquire? ;)

-mark

DonJMyers
07-28-2006, 11:02 AM
Nodal will be heading to hypervoxels eventually but for now it is available in volumetric lights as well as textures.

dpont
07-28-2006, 01:16 PM
Take Nodedisp sample then replace displacement handler
by a texture handler et voilà!

Denis.

warrenwc
07-28-2006, 11:48 PM
Don't mean to be dense but,
HUH?:stumped:

GregMalick
07-29-2006, 12:48 AM
Don't mean to be dense but,
HUH?:stumped:
I think Denis is saying to change the nodedisp sample in the sdk and recompile (thereby making your own).

Looks like he's already done it and just needs to post it.

GregMalick
07-29-2006, 01:50 AM
I'm kinda surprised no one compiled and posted the Nodal Displacement plugin from the SDK.

I haven't played much with it, but when added, it shows up in the Displacement plugin list (Object Properties/Deform) as Node Displacement. Open the properties and away you go.

It's probably not ready for Prime Time - but it does allow messing around with adding Nodes (including IFW2_NODAL). Not as exciting as the thought of Nodal HV's but good for a lark and a hint of things to come. I wouldn't use this in a Production Environment. Who knows what bugs lurk in that sample.

dpont
07-29-2006, 04:24 AM
Just some experiments, before NT add this new feature in LW9.x

So sure Nodal should be accessible in Volume Shader panel.
Denis.

duke
07-29-2006, 05:01 AM
I prefer the layout of that demo thing - having to add via a dropdown isnt as cool as having it there in front of you to the left.

duke
07-29-2006, 05:04 AM
Could someone post a scene where this is activated? :P

RedBull
07-29-2006, 05:16 AM
Just some experiments, before NT add this new feature in LW9.x

So sure Nodal should be accessible in Volume Shader panel.
Denis.

Yeah, are you planning to release that anytime soon Denis?
I'm sure similar will come in 9.x as you say, but it looks like just what i'm after at the moment.

Karmacop
07-29-2006, 08:54 AM
I'm kinda surprised no one compiled and posted the Nodal Displacement plugin from the SDK.

I haven't played much with it, but when added, it shows up in the Displacement plugin list (Object Properties/Deform) as Node Displacement. Open the properties and away you go.
Why not just use the built in nodal displacements? That's probably why no one has compiled it ;)

GregMalick
07-29-2006, 11:22 AM
Why not just use the built in nodal displacements? That's probably why no one has compiled it ;)

Of course you are right. using it as a plugin just adds a layer of unneeded complexity. It just occured to me as I was mucking around with dpont's suggestion. nevermind :D

dpont
07-29-2006, 01:51 PM
This is different from "official" earlier demo of original
and respectable author Antti Järvelä (see screenshot from Aurora)
But for fun or more, have compiled this one for Intel,
for Hypertexture only :
And a "fake" Particle Info Node:

Regards,
Denis.

GregMalick
07-29-2006, 02:51 PM
Thanks Denis,

I stopped as soon as I realized it's more than changing a few declarations.
I figured you'd post your version - so why bother.

I think the sample in the SDK isn't as robust as the one integrated into LW.
I did see some crashing when testing my compile. Usually on LW shutdown.

Thanks again for the sharing. It would appear that we should see this in a LW9.x release pretty soon.

:D

RedBull
07-29-2006, 04:09 PM
This is different from "official" earlier demo of original
and respectable author Antti Järvelä (see screenshot from Aurora)
But for fun or more, have compiled this one for Intel,
for Hypertexture only :
And a "fake" Particle Info Node:

Regards,
Denis.

Thanks, tres'cool.....
Now about a Nodal texture environment. :)

aurora
07-29-2006, 05:23 PM
I actually worked with the displacement node editor thats part of the SDK samples before NT released theirs. Thats how I started designing (on paper mind you) one for HV's. Yeah in theory you would think its an easy one, but since volumaterics have a seperate render pipeline, you never know. But if Dennis has something working I probably won't be wasting time doing something he'll just do better :) Now to unzip that dl and see waht there is to see :)

aurora
07-29-2006, 05:36 PM
OK This solution of Dennis's is MUCH better then the old Nodal one. Now to get an editor for coloring. Alas thats the one that should prove much more interesting.
Thanks for taking the few minutes it took to build that for us Dennis!

JamesCurtis
07-29-2006, 09:11 PM
dpont,

Tried your HV node plugin and does work with Surface HV and Hypertexture, but as soon as I select Volume HV or Sprite HV LW Layout crashes. Is this right, just surface type for now?

aurora
07-29-2006, 10:08 PM
Confirmed, its only working with surface HV's.

RedBull
07-29-2006, 10:38 PM
Confirmed, its only working with surface HV's.

Yeah, i also hope in NT's version the Nodal part will update viper automatically
as i'm sick of moving the mouse and hitting vipers render button, each time i connect or disconnect them...

But other than those two minor things, it's good to see the SDK being used to fill the gaps NT couldn't quite fill intitially.... Thanks again Dpont, i've already made some previously undoable surfaces in HV, in just a few minutes of using these two plugins. Cool!

I must say the more i use Nodal in LW, the more addicted i'm becoming...
I would love to see an almost completely procedural nodal implentation in LW,
and not just the surface editors.

I love Houdini, more than i love XSI personally.... I would love to see LW with Houdini's procedural approach... So while the Nodal surfacing is cool....
Nodal editing and hypervoxels, particles all being controlled by nodal would just transform LW into another level. Regardless thanks again...

dpont
07-30-2006, 12:47 AM
Updated Nodevol, please download again (above attachment),
should work with sprite & volume too.

Of course this two plugins are not serious tools,
use as your own risk,
just toys or references for this thread...

Regard,
Denis.

GregMalick
07-30-2006, 01:06 AM
Updated Nodevol, please download again (above attachment),
should work with sprite & volume too.

Of course this two plugins are not serious tools,
use as your own risk,
just toys or references for this thread...

Regard,
Denis.
Yep that is what I think, too.
NT (i.e. Antti) cleaned up a lot of reported bugs during the beta testing.
And I don't think the SDK sample changed at all so those fixes aren't in it.

Denis,
Would you consider posting the C source code.
It would be beneficial for us code-dogs to look at.
thanks,
Greg

MrWyatt
07-30-2006, 02:18 AM
thanks denis very cool.
:thumbsup:

Dodgy
07-30-2006, 06:38 AM
Yeah, a great job on this :)

aurora
07-30-2006, 07:37 AM
Confirmed Dennis. Works great with Volume and Sprite modes now. THANKS!

Oh and I second Gregs question about viewing the code. I would love to see if it was as easy to create as I thought it would be.

aurora
07-30-2006, 07:47 AM
Dennis, I hope you don't mind but I posted notice to your Node editor plugin on SpinQuad, just so you know :)

http://www.spinquad.com/forums/showthread.php?p=143630#post143630

GregMalick
07-02-2007, 02:38 PM
Denis,

Is there any reason why this can't work as a HV Particle Size procedural.
The Node Editor button doesn't show up.