PDA

View Full Version : planet earth is blue...

ujnhunter
02-18-2003, 08:08 AM
hello, this is my first post on the forum, and i thought i would post an image that i modeled/rendered in lightwave 7.0. comments and crits are welcome...

http://home.attbi.com/~tim1722/planetearthisblue01.jpg

i'm thinking of adding a satalite of some sort to the scene... what do you think?

Schwing
02-18-2003, 08:34 AM
I'd start by adding some stars. And the edge of the atmosphere seem a little too saturated.

wapangy
02-18-2003, 08:35 AM
Very Nice, lots of people mess up on earth pictures, but I like this one.

You might want to make the moon a little smaller, and the dark side darker.

wapangy
02-18-2003, 08:37 AM
I personaly would not add stars, If you do make them really faint.

spr0g
02-18-2003, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by wapangy
I personaly would not add stars, If you do make them really faint.

what? no stars? I hate to tell ya this.. but.. space tends to have a few.

add a few.. just dont make them the focal point of the picture... leave them small... and sparse, and not too bright (just dont leave it with none).

I like the pic so far... I think a sat would look pretty cool... just make sure u have a look at some pictures of sats... just so u know what they look like.
some people make their own and then turn out a pile of crapola

mattclary
02-18-2003, 01:33 PM
If you are going for realism, you wouldn't really see many stars in this shot. The Earth and moon would be so incredibly bright, that the exposure time would pretty much make stars invisible or at least incredibly dim.

JoPPa
02-18-2003, 02:48 PM
Wrong section ----- Try in WIP section.

robpauza
02-18-2003, 06:35 PM
Stars or no stars, it's very nicely done. I might sharpen the Earth texture a bit to add more apparent detail. -Just being picky though.

Good job,
-Rob

MorituriMax
02-18-2003, 11:08 PM
Sure space has stars, but this close to the earth, the light from the planet would tend to make them disappear.. ever seen stars in any of the moon landing pictures?

It's not quite that bad in this picture, but they WOULD be much much fainter than open space.

hrgiger
02-18-2003, 11:49 PM
If you do add stars, I would vote for Christopher Walken. Hmmm, maybe Jennifer Connelly?

ujnhunter
02-19-2003, 06:30 AM
thanks alot for all the comments guys, i know it should have been in the wip section, but when i posted this... there was no wip section ;) i'll see what i can do about the star issue, again thanks for all the comments, they are appreciated.

ddeaco
02-19-2003, 07:33 AM
Get ure free HIGH res planet maps here!!!!

http://gw.marketingden.com/planets/planets.html :D :D

Dave

pilgrimtoad
02-19-2003, 08:02 AM
ddeaco-

thanks for that great link. those maps will be an enormous aid in a project i am working on - fatefully, i was just about to go looking around for a good earth map... thanks again!

Hiraghm
02-19-2003, 10:04 AM
i'm thinking of adding a satalite of some sort to the scene... what do you think?

I think the scene already has a satellite... that white, round thing in the background :D

Really looks good, especially the Earth.

bobakabob
02-19-2003, 10:54 AM
Good work... I'd agree the edge of the atmosphere is too intense, but the potential is there - this will look cool with a little more subtle tweaking. What techniques did you use? I'm building a planet myself so would appreciate some tips :) Post the updated pic when you've added the stars...
PS Where's Major Tom?

MarkG
02-20-2003, 05:20 AM
Nice... though the one thing that always looks fake to me in generated Earth images (including the ones I've created from various tutorials) is the cloud layer. If you look at real footage from space the clouds are more kind of 'puffy' than the rather square-edged and flat clouds that a cloud texture and bumpmap produce. Anyone know of a good way to work around that?

starbase1
02-20-2003, 05:36 AM
Very nice - I like the relatively subdued land colours.

One thing does look a little wrong to me though - the moon looks to be the right way up, eg north pole at the top of the image, but the light on it appears to be top left.

I'd suggest either moving the light, or to avoid messing up the earth, rotate the moon object 45 degrees clockwise.

I also prefer different moon image maps, cranking up the contrast to make it look more detailed, (though this is less realistic)

Cheers,
Nick

a3dmind
02-20-2003, 06:00 PM
Try this link ;)
http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Newsroom/BlueMarble

There u can find up to 400Mb tiff earth maps... Enjoy

Epita
02-21-2003, 03:00 PM
Yeah, it looks great. Remember kids, Nasa never went to the Moon anyway!

Epita