PDA

View Full Version : HAs this ever happened before a crash for you?

Jim_C
07-27-2006, 10:20 PM
When working in the CG, the Safe Area and Grid will start flashing fairly rapidly about 15-20 times. During this you can still type and work in the CG.

About 10 seconds after this VT4 crashes.

System had been flawless till then.

Just wondering before I start troubleshooting.

Jim

Jim Capillo
07-28-2006, 04:20 AM
Jim, I've had a couple of "temporary" lock-ups recently where the screen will just sit for about 5 - 10 seconds, but nothing with the UI flashing. You dropping anything unusual in there ?

Jim_C
07-28-2006, 08:11 AM
Hey Jim,

No, nothign unusual at all. As a matter of fact, this box pretty much did the same 3-4 things all season long. Flawlessly. We did not have a single crash all year until the very last show when this popped up. Happened about 3 times I think.

It is strange. Any text or image placed or typed in the CG looks fine, just the UI goes nuts flashing and strobing. Then... eventually a crash.

Nothing changed on the system all year. Same footage rolled and graphics used.

It did bounce around the country in the back of a semi for 6 months. Something could have finally worked itself loose.

Will start checking next week when the trucks get back in town from LA.

Thanks
Jim

billmi
07-28-2006, 08:15 AM
Does the entire UI flash, or just the border around the CG module? If it is the border around the CG module, that means it's receiving keystrokes - a sign that you could have a failing keyboard causing the problem.

Jim Capillo
07-28-2006, 08:24 AM
Does the entire UI flash, or just the border around the CG module? If it is the border around the CG module, that means it's receiving keystrokes - a sign that you could have a failing keyboard causing the problem.

Wouldn't that translate into uncontrolled letters being put up on the CG interface? Did see that once when a bit of soft drink got spilled into the KB and one or two letters stuck. Letters all over the place ! :cursin:

How about graphics card/drivers ????

Jim_C
07-28-2006, 08:47 AM
Does the entire UI flash, or just the border around the CG module?

HMMM..interesting.
I was on the other end of the headsets when it happened so I did not get to lay my eyes on it, but from his descriptions, it was just the Safe Area, Grid, etc. No not the entire VT and/or CG UI.

He did say however he was able to type and work as it was flashing tho.

We have a stack of unused keyboards, I will swap one out.

Thanks Bill.

Jim

Ivan
07-28-2006, 09:15 AM
I think Jim Capillo has it right. Somehow the Alt and F2 key were shorting. This would cause the Safe Area to flash and yet you would be able to type in text. Try a new keyboard or take the mittens off when you type. ;)

Ivan

PIZAZZ
07-28-2006, 09:44 AM
Either try a new keyboard or use a Bud Lite to wash out the current keyboard. It has to be Bud Lite not regular Budweiser. The "fatty stuff" that regular Budweiser has just makes the keys stick together. Bud Lite is skinny enough to slide right in.

At least that is what I have been told from my contacts in the club industry. :)

Jim_C
07-28-2006, 11:04 AM
At our gigs it's all Fruit Punch and Diet Coke.

Both of which do have a high 'stick' factor.

I will rinse it out with a cup of wholesomeness.

thx
Jim

:devil:

PIZAZZ
07-28-2006, 11:34 AM
At our gigs it's all Fruit Punch and Diet Coke.

Both of which do have a high 'stick' factor.

I will rinse it out with a cup of wholesomeness.

thx
Jim

:devil:

You realise I was kidding right?

For the Record.... I never advocate any drinks of any type around our gear during production events. We have strict rules about that. It is not worth the risk.

I have had more of the expensive Microsoft keyboards fail on me than any of the little cheap ones. Definitely keep a spare keyboard and spare mouse with you when you travel anywhere. You never know when one will wig out on you.

Jim_C
07-28-2006, 11:41 AM
You realise I was kidding right?

Yes..... maybe. No way...... Of Course! ;)

So was I....
I Think