PDA

View Full Version : LW9 Crashing

Deux
07-27-2006, 04:26 PM
Hi all

I have a consistent problem of LightWave 9 (Layout) crashing and just disappearing. It happens for no apparent reason, but predominantly it's when I bring up a file requester in order to load a texture (happens with both standard Windows requester and VBFileRequester).

Running:

XP Pro SP2, AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4200+, 2GB Corsair RAM, NVidia 7800 GTX (x1) 256MB on NForce SLi mobo. Latest NVidia WHQL drivers.

It's actually stopping me producing any work because it crashes so soon after running LW9 :(

Thanks,

-: Deux :-

stevecullum
07-27-2006, 04:47 PM
What kind of error message are you getting on crashes? It might help to determine the cause of the crashes. Event viewer should also show something on this too.

I've not had anything like this, but it sounds like a driver issue or conflict somewhere..

If all else fails, you may need to do a complete re-install and then load LW in as the first app. Check if working and then proceed to load other apps and keep checking LW. At the point of failure, you'll have found your conflict..

Also, windows updates have been known to break things. Was it working at any point in the past?

mjcrawford
07-27-2006, 04:51 PM
I have the exact same issue... from time to time Layout just dissappears.. no error, no lock up it just vanishes. I just save my work often! I updated all my drivers. interesting co-incedence I am also running AMD/Nvidia on mine! I wonder if that is the cause?

stevecullum
07-27-2006, 05:16 PM
I'm on AMD/Nvidia and stable. However, I was getting instibility issues with the current NVidia drivers, so I installed the beta driver 91.31 and my issues were resolved - might be worth a try.

Also check your DEP settings and make an exception for LW - its been known to break LW and other 3D/CAD apps.

Deux
07-28-2006, 02:07 AM
Found some details about the DEP in another thread further down, and yep, highly recommend creating an exception for LightWave in Windows DEP. After creating exceptions, everything seems to be running stable. :thumbsup:

It sounds like you have exactly the same issue mjcrawford... there are never any crash messages... just BAM! LW9 just exits to thin air. Try the DEP for sure!

-: Deux :-

stevecullum
07-28-2006, 05:24 AM
Glad it worked! - Nothing worse than a favourite app behaving badly :)

BeeVee
07-28-2006, 07:39 AM
Hey Steve, I think it would be good to explain what the DEP settings are, and where folk can find them... ;)

B

stevecullum
07-28-2006, 08:37 AM
Good idea!

I'll post a seperate thread with the info and some links...

Penforhire
07-28-2006, 09:35 AM
Whenever I've had DEP-related crashes in the past I got a message box telling me that's what happened. Are there some DEP-instigated crashes that don't inform the console?

stevecullum
07-28-2006, 09:47 AM
I'm no expert, but from what I understand, some programs employ certain memory hacks and techniques like buffer over runs to help make the programs run quicker and more efficiently. It conflicts with DEP's methods of detection and prevention and can result in the program just closing - boom!

In the same way, when you encounter a BSOD Windows sometimes tells you it recovered from a serious error and sometimes its just such a complete failure that it doesn't even know what happened and I guess the DEP crashing issue falls into this category.

As long as the problems go away, thats what counts... :)

Filmdesigner
07-30-2006, 08:26 PM
I have also been suffering from these mysterious vanishing crashes, and have got to the point I reinstalled 8.5 so I can get some work done. The only other issue here is I am a MAC user and your suggested solution doesn't apply.

What a drag!