PDA

View Full Version : 3D Business Questions

klanderud
07-27-2006, 12:32 PM
:help:
This is a project my wife is working on in her business class.
It is about the feasibility of creating a 3D business.
Please answer the following interview questions.
Feel free answer anything you want to choose.
You can be a brief or write as much as you want
Thank you. :bowdown:

Which method do you think is the preferable method in developing a Pipeline Production? (Such as Tim Albee’s, Adobe, MAC, or others)
If cost was a factor what method is preferable?

What 3D software programs do you use? (Lightwave, Studio Max, Maya, etc.)
Which one do you prefer and why? Which one would you choose base on price?

What Compositing programs do you use? (DFX, Fusion, After Effects, Combustion, Shake, etc.) Which one do you prefer and why? Which one would you choose base on price?

What Video Editing programs do you use? (Adobe Premiere, VT, Final Cut, Avid, etc.) Which one do you prefer and why? Which one would you choose base on price?

How do you create your DVDs? (Adobe Encore, DVD Studio Pro, or others)

Do you work as a 3D animator at our current position? If not what do you use 3D animation or renderings for? If given a chance, what would you improve in your current position?

If given a chance, would you like to start up a company with a few highly skilled and motivated 3D animators?

If so, how much time are you willing to sacrifice and devote to make a start up company successful? What questions would you like answered before joining a team? And how do you think compensation be handled if the company was successful?

or email me please

timklanderud at netscape.net

combine email together and replace at with @
Thank you

mjcrawford
07-27-2006, 01:15 PM
Which method do you think is the preferable method in developing a Pipeline Production? (Such as Tim Albee’s, Adobe, MAC, or others)

for us cost is a major factor, we chose to use the Adobe production studio as it contains everything we needed other than 3d software.

We have Lightwave 9 and Maya 7 but we chose to work exclusively with Lightwave as the cost of multiple licenses of Maya is way too high for a small outfit like us

What Compositing programs do you use? (DFX, Fusion, After Effects, Combustion, Shake, etc.) Which one do you prefer and why? Which one would you choose base on price?

After effects for the same reason as mentioned above

What Video Editing programs do you use? (Adobe Premiere, VT, Final Cut, Avid, etc.) Which one do you prefer and why? Which one would you choose base on price?

Premiere pro 2, same reason

Encore, same reason

Do you work as a 3D animator at our current position? If not what do you use 3D animation or renderings for? If given a chance, what would you improve in your current position?

My position is President, and supervisor of VFX so yes, I use Lightwave in this capacity, however in my ‘real’ job I am tech support for Comcast. So I do not use it there

If given a chance, would you like to start up a company with a few highly skilled and motivated 3D animators?

I am doing so right now. Currently we only have 3 people. Myself, who does the 3d work as well as talent direction, and my two partners who are trained in cinematography and traditional animation respectively.

If so, how much time are you willing to sacrifice and devote to make a start up company successful? What questions would you like answered before joining a team? And how do you think compensation be handled if the company was successful?

We currently work together once a week for staff meetings, and while shooting live action we will put in weekends for the duration of a given shoot.

klanderud
07-27-2006, 03:31 PM
Thank you for replying! My wife can use this as a part of her assignment. We have developed several plans and that was apart of one of them. I do think Adobe is one of the cheapest and cost effective methods for developing a production studio. Again thank you so much for fast reply.

Tim & Michiko

TheDynamo
07-27-2006, 03:38 PM

I use Adobe products for my primary pipeline however depending on the project we also use some Apple software (DVD Studio Pro). For the cost factor, I would keep the same workflow definitely.

Currently I use Lightwave. I used to use Softimage 3D (before XSI) and that was what really introduced me into the world of 3D animation. For Price and Performance, Lightwave 3D is tough to beat considering all that comes with it. I had enough faith in it to purchase it for my freelance work at home as well as utilizing it at my workplace.

I use After Effects regularly, and have been for about 8 years now. I would say that it blends easily into my pipeline but I would not count out programs such as Combustion (haven't tinkered with it in a very long time).

I really don't do too much video editing, it spreads things a bit too thin. However if I did do it, I would either use the Avid or Premiere Pro. Avid however would be the lower of the two choices since I have had some workflow issues when dealing with codecs.

DVD Studio Pro.

I am primarily a motion graphics designer and compositor at my job and in my freelance career. I have been adding 3D to my toolset since I have been seeing more and more demand for the flexibility (and capabilities) only 3D can offer.

I think that would be a fine idea.

At present, I do not have as much time as I think necessary to start a company such as that. However I would suggest at least 20 hours a week if you attempt to maintain a regular job. Much more so if it will be your primary source of income. A good question I would ask would be how that person works and whether or not they collaborate with others well. An idea for compensation would be a limited partnership method or better known as profit-sharing.

-Dyn

klanderud
07-27-2006, 05:16 PM
Thank you for replying!
I do think Apple is great way to go, so far, in my wife’s plans Mac Option is included and is cheapest and most effective way to go, if a studio starts from scratch. I personally like the DVD Studio Pro, its well laid out and easy to use and I agree with you on Avid.
Thanks for filling it out.

Tim & Michiko