PDA

View Full Version : Memory usage on G5

dankayaker
07-27-2006, 08:16 AM
I've been monitoring renders on my Quad Core Mac G5 with 4 gigs of RAM and the activity monitor says LW8.5 is only using around 148 megs of "real memory" and 530 megs of "virtual memory" for processing . . . . . . . do I have something set wrong ? It seems with 4 gigs of RAM available LW could render a whole lot faster if it just used what was there.

thanks

Chilton
07-27-2006, 08:26 AM
Hi,

What does the CPU usage say? LightWave dynamically allocates memory as needed. However, if the CPU is saturated, it won't really matter.

Now, if CPU usage is not high, there's probably something that can be done about it.

-Chilton

Scazzino
07-27-2006, 08:43 AM
That may be all that LW needs to render that particular scene.

You can check LW's memory needs by pressing 'w' when the scene is open (but not currently rendering) and see what it says for "Render Memory" and "Object Memory" on the scene statistics window.

You can also open the Image Editor to see how much RAM the images use.

Then LW probably also uses some additional memory for itself if you are rendering directly in LW rather than in LWSN.

Then when you render (in LW rather than LWSN) there's another Memory readout on the render panel, but I'm not sure what that's really showing, since it's usually MUCH lower than any of the above memory items... including "Render Memory" from the statistics window...

dankayaker
07-27-2006, 08:58 AM
CPU usage is around 100%. The scene I think has around 700k polys using textures and reflections. But it's taking forever to render 1 frame.

avkills
07-27-2006, 01:17 PM
Keep in mind the memory shown for images does not show the memory used for MIP maps.

Seems like you have plenty of RAM so I am not sure why it is so slow unless you are using Radiosity, GI and Caustics.

-mark

dankayaker
07-27-2006, 01:25 PM
Actually, my CPU usages ranges from 95% - 198% now. Not sure what GI stands for and Radiosity is off.

mike_stening
07-28-2006, 03:45 AM
on the quad cpu usage really depends on your scene complexity and the number of threads you allocate to the renderer. it's worth sticking the threads on 8 on the quad and you can check what your cpu's are dong render wise by having the 'floating cpu window' on and this will sit in front of every application and i have found it useful to have running so i could see that lightwave was active and not crashed or looping, the cpu monitor gives a graphical representation of each cpu's usage. and should max out all 4 cpus at the start of the render and then just before anti-aliasing starts and then go max again till about halfway through each AA pass. with V9 of LW you now have a bettr idea of what is going on in your renders but the cpu window is very handy for watching the activity.