PDA

View Full Version : White dots on renders - Most likely a n00b question

ajaxrobinson
07-27-2006, 08:12 AM
Hello kind people

:newhere:

Whenever I render an image, the vertices are rendered too as white dots. Is there a way to get rid of that mess?!

I'm assuming there is as there were no white dots in Sin City :newhere:

I'm also texturing the cockpit of my first Lightwave model, it's a chinook, but I'm finding it to be a pain in the neck. I've done the unwrapping part, and now applied a basic layout texture of the windows and nose, but no matter how much moving of UV points I do, I can't stop the windows curving in weird places. I'm not sure what I'm asking really, but any tips on UV unwrapped vertex manipulation would be appreciated.

Has anyone here textured a Chinook cockpit? If so, I'd love to see the texture you used and the UV unwrap you did.

I'll post some screenshots soon.

ajaxrobinson
07-27-2006, 08:45 AM
Ok, when I'm unwrapping and laying this unwrap out, should I be trying to make all the shapes the same size as the individual polys? I've been moving these points around for ages now, and it seems every time I move them it makes the texture map even more distorted -_-

:yoda:

Gyphon
07-27-2006, 09:23 AM
I have only messed with uv maps one one occasion, so I'm not sure how useful I may be. You really need to show us a pic of your render. Do note however that once the uv is created (or baked) it is not recomended that you change the geometry, otherwise you will have to rebake the uv. Look in the options of layout (I'm not sure where it is ATM, but will post again after I have time to look) there is an optioin to render points or sumsuch, this may have been turned on. Other's here will likelyt be able to give you more than I, I am quite new at lw myself.

bob anderson
07-27-2006, 12:38 PM
"Whenever I render an image, the vertices are rendered too as white dots. Is there a way to get rid of that mess?!"

I've seen problems like this when I've had templates or splines in a background layer ( the julienne tool leaves geometry in really high numbered layers )... the layer you are working on looks fine, but when you load it into layout.. you see weird things.

At the botom of the layout screen, under objects, make sure you don't have some weird geometry layers you didn't expect loaded.

Hope this helps

Bob

Sarford
07-27-2006, 08:56 PM
Here are some very good tutorials on uv-mapping in lightwave

http://www.robinwood.com/Catalog/Technical/LightwaveTuts/LWTutSet.html

Thank you big time Robin Wood!

ajaxrobinson
07-31-2006, 04:41 AM
Here is the Chinook that I am having trouble with. This morning I have unwrapped the cockpit area again (highlighted) and am hoping that I can apply a texture that doesn't stretch and go all screwy.

Here is perspective:

http://img420.imageshack.us/img420/5579/chinsetaperspectivebw3.jpg

Here is my UV Texture of the unwrapped cockpit. Does this look like I've done it correctly to you? Please give me advice! I've done this too many times now :thumbsdow

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/2585/chinsetbuvtexturekb4.jpg

Here is the front view which I've kinda been using as a reference to make sure the front middle part of my UV Texture is correct.

http://img454.imageshack.us/img454/6499/chinsetcfronttm6.jpg

I've posted all these images so you all know what I'm talking about and can hopefully give me some pointers / advice since I've had trouble creating a texture that fits nicely over the cockpit. My main issue before was the windows above the nose. They'd stretch off into weird angles and I couldn't get rid of it. I've since edited vertices and am hoping it will be ok this time.

Thanks for the links btw, I found them very useful.

Thank you for your time

ajaxrobinson
07-31-2006, 05:45 AM
Here is the UV map applied. It's just a simple layout texture, but works better than it was before. There are still some dodgy lines around the edges of the windows though, and how do I get LW to NOT render the vertices. I can see them all over this thing.

http://img314.imageshack.us/img314/2306/chinnyrender5on9.jpg:yoda:

Phil
08-01-2006, 04:00 AM
Silly question, but do you have any 1-point polygons in your mesh? Modeler will show you this in the polygon statistics window. Note that these are different from points! Single points won't be visible in a render, but single point polygons will.

The perspective camera in Layout also won't render single (or two) point polygons, so that will perhaps give you an indication of the problem.

colkai
08-01-2006, 04:55 AM
Question, what version of LW? Are you using sub-patch interpolation on your uvmapping, as the lack of it looks like what may be causing the problem

ajaxrobinson
08-01-2006, 10:56 AM
Phil -

There are no silly questions :p No, I don't have any 1-point polygons. The white points are the vertices that make up the mesh, but because I have subpatched the model, they appear slightly outside the mesh. I can select them, and if I move them significantly in a direction it distorts/stretches the mesh in that direction.

Colkai -

I am using version 7 of LW. The model is subpatched, but the uv unwraps are just the squary polygon shapes. I wasn't aware that I could subpatch the UV Unwrap? You mean I can make my unwrap all smooth and rounded like the model?

The UVunwrap I did for the cockpit is up above with the screenshots.

Thanks for the help guys, you people on this forum are a great help to developing my 3d work.

http://img386.imageshack.us/img386/5426/chinnyrender7co7.jpg

ajaxrobinson
08-01-2006, 10:58 AM
Another question: I've not really rendered properly with LW before. Is it standard practice to freeze the model before rendering? Before texturing?

If anyone has suggestions on how to improve the model please put them forward, thanks again

Phil
08-01-2006, 11:12 AM
Well first up, update to the last free version of LW 7.x you are able to - 7.5d from memory (or the 7.5c release which may be more reliable - my memory is fuzzy). That might resolve the problem.

You don't need to freeze the model to render - Layout will happily work with the subpatch, but UV maps with subpatched surfaces only really got fixed in a later release (somewhere in 8.x I think). You'll need to freeze the mesh for UV mapping to work in 7.x :(

ajaxrobinson
08-02-2006, 03:38 AM
Phil -

Thanks for the information! What I'll do for now is just freeze the cockpit and texture it that way. It's not too heavy on the G5 I'm working.

I'm probably going to purchase the latest version of LW soon, rather than update. Thanks again for the help, I'll post some screens of the progress soon.

Anyone know any good tutorials for realistic texturing? the texture I made yesterday for the underneath looks like crud.