PDA

View Full Version : Using Autocad

Gui Lo
07-27-2006, 07:39 AM
I need to buy a computer for Autocad use (jewellery). I can buy a midrange machine, I guess. a new staff will be employeed to use it so it needs to be good enough so he/she is comfortable using it.

Can anybody recommend a range of machines that will fit the bill?

Thanks
Gui lo

Tzan
07-27-2006, 08:50 AM
I didnt know that jewelry smiths used Autocad.

Autocad is not a very demanding program. My last machine was a PIII 700 and it ran Autocad just fine. I now have a PD 2.8 and I see no difference in Autocad.

Lightwave renders much faster on the new machine of course :)

manholoz
07-27-2006, 09:01 AM
If your needs are not too demanding on Autocad, look for Progecad LT, it is a freeware Autocad clone, supports everything but ACIS solids, and anyway, I suppose you will be rendering in Lightwave, so the new Autocad2007 incorporated render engine would be meaningless to you, right?
And their "pro" version is about $300, which is still much less than an Autocad license...

Penforhire
07-27-2006, 09:21 AM
Manholoz, does Progecad LT support AutoCAD "overlay" programs (typically dedicated solutions like PC board design)? Now that'd be an awesome clone. I'll have to check it out since I'm no Autodesk fan but I'm forced to use ACad.

Signal to Noise
07-27-2006, 12:48 PM
I didnt know that jewelry smiths used Autocad.

My thoughts exactly.

A jeweler friend of mine says he's used Rhino, Matrix (Gemvision), & Artcam to design pieces. He recommends Rhino or, if you can afford it, Matrix. Basically you need accuracy and, more importantly, free-form/organic abilities in whichever software you go with. AutoCAD lacks the organic aspect of design.

So whichever program you go with all you have to do is look at the minimum specifications required and plan on your computer that way. As a general rule of thumb I always double the ram and graphics card requirements as opposed to what is stated as minimum.

Penforhire
07-27-2006, 03:49 PM
Very cool! Progecad is one of the "children" of Intellicad. I remember them fondly from before Visio bought 'em and, for reasons unknown to me, abandoned 'em. I did not know a consortium was formed to share that CAD core nor that so many child-products continue now.

Gui Lo
07-27-2006, 05:55 PM
Thanks for all the your replies.

This is a joint venture with client/partner suppling the software and Autocad files. I supply the machine, rendering service and office.

If Autocad is not too demanding then a laptop used for presentations might be ok.

I have time now so I'll look properly at the Autodesk site.

Thanks again, I'll ask about the other software.

Gui Lo

ravantra
07-28-2006, 09:22 AM
The Autodesk website list basic recommendations for AutoCAD. Last year we still had some PII 400mhz computers running AutoCAD 2006....WELL Below the recommendations. Produced all our architectural jobs on it. AutoCAD is not very demanding unless you start to use the 3D capabilities....We use LW. :thumbsup: