PDA

View Full Version : I might get commisioned for character design and animation

Josamoto
07-26-2006, 12:42 PM
Help!

I believe there is protection in the council of man, so I post this thread in need of your advice.

I have to model, and animate 6 different characters, in ten days. Is this possible, am I tackling a task that is too big? I have to answer as soon as possible to the client.

My modeling skills are fairly good, and I feel I can model a character in at least one long day, but I would appreciate an oppinion from someone else. Experience or inexperienced, I need your advice!!!

Thank you!!!

gjjackson
07-26-2006, 12:52 PM
I Couldn't do that many models in such a time. I would consider something like Creature Creator and tweaking from there. That's a real undertaking.

oDDity
07-26-2006, 12:56 PM
Impossible. Impossible to do a good job in 6 days that is.
Unless of course, you have a base human mesh and you're just adding clothing, armour etc, and it also depends on how high rez and detailed, but even making 6 low poly game characters is impossble in that time. I'm pretty fast and it takes me at least a week to model and texture one wokring evneings.
I suppose ef you work 24 hours a day you might be able to do it.

Josamoto
07-26-2006, 12:56 PM
Mmm. I was thinking of using "Make Human" from the Blender community. Maybe a good idea, but I'm noo fooondeee with Blender.

Fortunately all characters will be human, so I might be able to model one, rig it and tweak it to get the other six.

:)

The characters will be very plain, no funny bits and bobs. It must almost be Wallace & Grommit like. We've decided simplicity will be perfection here. The client is pushing us for time, so they understand the quality they are sacrificing.

I just hope this all works out fine. Looks I'm gonna be Lightwaving for at least 16 hours per day for the next two weeks. Hee hee. Ouch. Gulp.

oDDity
07-26-2006, 12:58 PM
HOw would any client expect 6 characters to be made in 10 days anyway?

Josamoto
07-26-2006, 01:22 PM
That's the way South African consumers are. They want everything like in, yesterday, at a fraction of the price. We're trying to extend the deadline. Fortunately we are quoting on 10 working days, so that will give is 14 days, if I work through the weekend.

The timeline is slightly absurd,i know, but for the type of animation they want, I say why not. Fortunately the animation is mimic style, no lip syncing with audio voice in the background, and just basic facial emotions.

The modelling and rigging does not concern me that much. It's the animation I'm worried about, getting the body language built in the characters so they fit and interact with the audio.

I have no idea what I'm letting myself into, but I have to take the chance. I dont care if I have to work around the clock, I must make this work, and I believe I can.

Eek!!!

jbarker
07-26-2006, 02:54 PM
Would Poser work for this project?

http://www.e-frontier.com/go/poser_hpl

hrgiger
07-26-2006, 04:56 PM
I did a visual project at school recently and at 5pm the one day, the other students in my group asked me to do a two minute character animation demo. we had to present the next day at 6pm. So in roughly 24 hours, I modeled, rigged, animated, textured (I didn't have time to paint textures but I used mostly procedurals and a few premade texture maps), rendered, and put the composited the stills together with some music and titles in Adobe Premiere. It wasn't the most polished work but it was satisfying to put something together that quickly and call it finished. I went down to the last minute and there was a lot more I wanted to do with it but I guess that's just the way it goes sometimes.
Even though I finished it in a day, I don't think I could do six characters in 10 days and be at all happy with the work. My one day project went a little smoother then my usual workflow and just too many snags would come up in working with that many different characters. If you take on this project, I recommend bringing in some help.
Just my .02 cents.