PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with a question

Merk
07-26-2006, 08:17 AM
G'day all...

I'm a new user with lightwave, I usually work with Cinema 4d but for a project at work I need to use lightwave due to provided models. Now I got a model with a couple of different vertex maps. I figured out how to select them in the modeler function of lightwave. Though when I want to render the view by switching to the "layout" function I get the model without the vertex map applied to it. So I then searched the net and found that I could "bake" the object...(construct -> freeze)...so it shall be done I thought. Freezed the **** out of the object, and then send it to the layout version again...and behold. Nothing changed.. Can anyone tell me how to render out the view WITH the new vertex map???? That would be so helpful and stressrelieving...

Kind regards,

Merk,

The Netherlands

mkiii
07-26-2006, 09:22 AM
Freeze & bake are two separate things in Layout & modeler.

When you freeze a mesh in modeler, all you are doing is converting a subdivision mesh into the equivalent polygon mesh with the correct amount of subdivision. The only effect it will have on the UV map is to subdivide the UV polys.

When you bake an object, you apply a surface shader to it of the name SurfaceBaker. This will bake colour, shadows, shaders etc into a texture map which is saved to disc, alternatively, applying it to the mesh.

What you don't make clear is what you are trying to do with the UV maps.

Are you just trying to make the object use the UVs on your textures? If so, you have to make sure each surface (material) that uses the UV map has it assigned from within the texture editor, because quite often, imported meshes do not automatically assign them for you.

TBH - It is a really good idea to at least browse the manual on the subject. It should give you more of a clue to the workflow needed.

It isn't too complicated, and no more so than in C4d.

Merk
07-26-2006, 09:29 AM
RTFM - I know, and I should, granted, though all I need to do is render out a single frame, and a single image for a flyer. Time is short and filing through a manual for a couple of days is too time consuming at this point and for this project, anyway...the guy that provided the object has made like 20 vertex maps. Facial expressions, what I want is to use one of those expressions and render it. But when I click on one of the maps, in the modeler window it applies it to the model, but when I switch to the layout window all it shows is the base object, WITHOUT the facial expression I selected in the modeler window...all I need to know is how to "apply" that expression to the basic object and how to get that into the layout window. Rendering I can do,...but getting the right file there is apparently quite a task.

Thanks for the reply though...

Kind regards,

Rick

Wonderpup
07-26-2006, 10:31 AM
Hi Merk,

In layout, if you go to the objects properties panel and select the deform tab and then go to the bottom and hit the add displacement button this will bring up a list- select the morph mixer and when it appears in the list, double click it to bring up the mixer interface- your morph maps will be listed and you can select one and drag the slider to apply it.

Sarford
07-26-2006, 11:06 AM
Hi Merk,

If you are still stuck, give me a PM, maybe I can help you out if you supply the model and the needs. I'm live in Holland too so you can even call to speed things up.

Merk
07-27-2006, 01:15 AM
wonderpup, YOU THE MAN!...great advice. Everything working fine and rendering out now...thanks a bunch man.

Kind regards,

Rick