PDA

View Full Version : mac bug workshop - lightwave 9.0

eblu
07-26-2006, 08:10 AM
hi all,
didn't find a bug workshop in this forum so I made my own.

001. flash based documentation doesn't work. the left hand menu that Should be there does NOT render, rendering the flash based docs, worthless. I'm using Safari with the latest flash player (v. 9 i think, downloaded in the week of 7/24/06) and I have tried it with firefox as well.

002. in modeler, the mouse cursor is NOT tracked properly in viewports. most typically Modeler misses the mouse release event, leading to all kinds of hijinks.

003. ScreamerNet Does not appear to work with sliders. it reports that it cannot find the plugin. I made certain that the file was both accessible by ScreamerNet and Not corrupted.

BeeVee
07-26-2006, 08:26 AM
For the first point, I think it's more likely down to your Flash settings. I wrote this (http://www.lightwiki.com/wiki/mediawiki-1.4.4/index.php?title=I_cannot_access_my_LightWave_onlin e_help) for LightWave 8 but it's just as pertinent now it seems.

B

Chilton
07-26-2006, 08:37 AM
hi all,
didn't find a bug workshop in this forum so I made my own.

001. flash based documentation doesn't work. the left hand menu that Should be there does NOT render, rendering the flash based docs, worthless. I'm using Safari with the latest flash player (v. 9 i think, downloaded in the week of 7/24/06) and I have tried it with firefox as well.

I can confirm this. It was working in an earlier version. I came on after the decision to use eHelp was made, or I'd have suggested we just use the built-in MacOSX help engine.

002. in modeler, the mouse cursor is NOT tracked properly in viewports. most typically Modeler misses the mouse release event, leading to all kinds of hijinks.

Interesting. Does this happen all of the time there, or only occasionally?

003. ScreamerNet Does not appear to work with sliders. it reports that it cannot find the plugin. I made certain that the file was both accessible by ScreamerNet and Not corrupted.

I'll be looking into ScreamerNet shortly. Right now I'm focused on Hub issues, but I'd like to know if other users are having problems with this (ScreamerNet) as well.

-Chilton

Chilton
07-26-2006, 09:39 AM
Hi,

Yes, BeeVee's suggestion is best for this documentation issue. Frankly, this is a very non-Mac-like behavior, and I'm looking into alternatives for the dot upgrade.

-Chilton

eblu
07-26-2006, 03:19 PM
I can confirm this. It was working in an earlier version. I came on after the decision to use eHelp was made, or I'd have suggested we just use the built-in MacOSX help engine.

Interesting. Does this happen all of the time there, or only occasionally?

I'll be looking into ScreamerNet shortly. Right now I'm focused on Hub issues, but I'd like to know if other users are having problems with this (ScreamerNet) as well.

-Chilton

re: mouse tracking. chilton, its intermittent. happens with all mouse clicks that occur in a viewport. for example: rotating the view in a persp view, or translating polys in an orthogonal view. the frequency seems to clump... it gets more frequent till the next time you restart the app (something destabilizing it progressively?), but i have not yet found anything that indicates the root cause. It feels like there was some sort of code layer put in the app between the mouse tracking, and mouse tracking handling, causing the tracking model to lose cpu time at a crucial moment and completely miss the mouse event. (i've done this way back in os 9, by listening to too many events in my loop and bogging down the cpu, and by setting an interval of time to "check" events, both impractical ways to track the mouse, but done as an exercise to learn about the mechanism.)

the flash fix worked (thanks)... After failing to load the flash privacy web page 3-4 times, it did load, so kids... be patient... adobe apparently has some things to work out over at macromedia.

Thanks chilton, beevee