PDA

View Full Version : APS is moving the perspective camera

Wonderpup
07-26-2006, 08:05 AM
Just playing around with APS and camera distance gradients and I'm finding that if I use the perspective camera and hit render the camera's position is moved - I can actualy see the test object moving back in the open gl viewport so the camera is definately changing its location as a result of the render.

Has anyone else come across this one? The camera is keyframed in position, and if I drag the timeslider before rendering everything looks ok.

I did report this during the beta- but it looks to be still around. This effect does not occur with the classic camera- only the perspective.

Thor Simpson
07-26-2006, 09:12 AM
Since you see the object "moving back," maybe rather than changing position you have changed the zoom of the camera? Can you confirm that the actual x,y,z coordinates of the camera change?

Wonderpup
07-26-2006, 10:20 AM
Hi Thor,

It does seem to be the camera's actual location that's affected- I checked in the top view and you can see the camera's position has shifted relative to the test object.

It's weird that a rendering setting is actualy affecting the camera's keyframed position but that's what's happening. I don't get this consistantly, but given how little time I have actualy spent messing with APS it is happening quite often.

RedBull
07-26-2006, 01:17 PM
Yes i can confirm a similar problem, i have not been able to make specfic steps to replicate it, but i have definately seen the Camera Jump in OGL viewports..... It's not just an APS thing though.....

I will try again today to see if i can replicate it....
But i do confirm the case of jumping camera!

Celshader
07-26-2006, 01:47 PM
Yes i can confirm a similar problem, i have not been able to make specfic steps to replicate it, but i have definately seen the Camera Jump in OGL viewports..... It's not just an APS thing though.....

I will try again today to see if i can replicate it....
But i do confirm the case of jumping camera!

I've run into an unkeyed camera jumping back to frame new geometry. By "unkeyed," I mean a fresh scene was created and the camera was NOT manually keyed on frame 0.

Note that when you create a fresh scene, but you do not manually key the camera and load in an object...the camera eagerly jumps in front of the object so that the object is automatically framed in the camera for you. This happens even though the camera has a "key" at frame 0 by default. If you still do not manually key the camera and you replace that object with a bigger object, the camera will jump back to automatically frame the new geometry.

If you make even one manual key on the camera, the camera will not stray from its hand-keyed path, no matter how much geometry you load into the scene after you create that key.

-+-

If the camera is "unkeyed," I suspect that when APS replaces the original object with a high-res (and differently shaped) object, the unkeyed camera's eagerly jumping back to automatically frame the subject for the user.

-+-

Try this. Scrub to frame 0, hit Enter twice to manually key the camera. See if the APS problem still occurs. If it still occurs, post a scene that duplicates the bug, so that NewTek can kill the bug.

EDIT - Whoops...I just re-read the original post. This sounds like a bug. Wonderpup, please post a scene that duplicates the problem so that NewTek can kill this bug.

Wonderpup
07-27-2006, 05:30 AM
I tried a few more tests today. Basicly what I am doing is loading single object and keyframing it at frame 30 to move closer to the camera. The camera itself has only the default key frame- I have not set this manualy.

I then apply an APS gradient. If I render at frame zero, all is well. But when I move the time to frame 30 and hit render, the object will render at the correct camera distance, but the moment i hit continue in the image viewer, the camera jumps back away from the object.

Interestingly, saving the scene makes the problem go away- so I think it is a variation on the idea that Cellshader had- because the camera has not been 'officialy' keyed, it's moving to frame the object- but this is not happening when the object is loaded, only when the time slider is moved to frame thirty, where the object is closer to the camera and APS is applied- I don't get the same result without APS gradient being present.