PDA

View Full Version : Node Flows

WilliamVaughan
07-25-2006, 10:59 PM
Here are two Node Flows that mmight get some of you up and running with the NE.

Creating Stitches with a Weight Map and Procedural texture

WilliamVaughan
07-25-2006, 10:59 PM
Using Multiple Weightmaps on one Surface

jin choung
07-28-2006, 02:13 AM
howdy proton,

nice meeting you at the lightwave party btw.

anyhoo, concerning these node flows, i was wondering if there were any plans to enable the creation of SAVED NODE NETWORKS (can be as basic as a "group" or "folder" that can be expanded)... then, instead of just screenshots, we can save out incredibly complex node networks and even post them as presets and they'd be ready to go.

also, if we can go more advanced and go for a "BLACKBOX", encapsulation approach, these saved node networks can act like actual nodes themselves and we can define what kind of inputs it will take in (to be processed by the blackbox) and what kind of output it will allow.

anyhoo, an idea that i've had for a while and now seeing these screenshots really brings it to mind.

thanks.

jin

Jarno
07-28-2006, 06:19 AM
anyhoo, concerning these node flows, i was wondering if there were any plans to enable the creation of SAVED NODE NETWORKS

And what's wrong with selecting the nodes you want to export, go to the Edit menu in the node editor, and clicking on Export Selected?

---JvdL---

CAClark
07-28-2006, 06:35 AM
They don't import joined up that way do they?

WilliamVaughan
07-28-2006, 08:41 AM
Here are the source files for those two flows:

http://www.spinquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13203

http://www.spinquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13211

WilliamVaughan
07-28-2006, 08:42 AM
Dont forget that you can save the surface (.srf) and it has all the info :)

Karmacop
07-28-2006, 08:42 AM
They don't import joined up that way do they?
Yes :)

warrenwc
07-28-2006, 11:38 AM
My exported nodes don't import joined to the final texture.
Am I doing something wrong?
I've just been trying to rename my final nodes for what input they connect to.

colkai
07-28-2006, 01:06 PM
Imported nodes never tie up to the surface - in case you want to import a whole shed-load as part of your final node.
Saving the surface or a surface preset should however allow you to have a fully connected node.

Leastways, based on that is what happens, that's my take on it, be it right or wrong. :p

Karmacop
07-28-2006, 05:32 PM
Leastways, based on that is what happens, that's my take on it, be it right or wrong. :p
That's right, you can't export the surface node. So exporting is good for exporting bits (maybe nodes that make up an interesting texture), and saving a surface is good for exporting the entire surface.

RedBull
07-28-2006, 08:12 PM
That's right, you can't export the surface node. So exporting is good for exporting bits (maybe nodes that make up an interesting texture), and saving a surface is good for exporting the entire surface.

It would be nice to able node presets directly for displacements.
Copying from the surface editor is a royal pain in the backside, for displacements.

Displacements either need there own displacement shelf, or the ability to access the surface preset shelf.

Karmacop
07-28-2006, 10:23 PM
Displacements either need there own displacement shelf, or the ability to access the surface preset shelf.
A lot of things need presets :D but they shouldn't be shared.

warrenwc
07-28-2006, 11:44 PM
OK thanks! that's the way I thought they worked, but suspected you guys might have found something I didn't.

RedBull
07-29-2006, 12:02 AM
A lot of things need presets :D but they shouldn't be shared.

Why not share them? It doesn't make much sense to have multiple copies
of presets for the same thing. Procedurals and textures are the same for Displacements or Surfaces.

As it is now, if i click presets while the nodal displacement editor is open,
i get the surface presets folder open!, i should be able to click on a preset and if i have the displacement NE open, the preset is applied to displacements, and if the surface editor is open it's a surface node preset.....

Much better idea for me personally than having many different preset shelves with exact copies of the surface preset seems like stupidity to me.

jin choung
07-29-2006, 03:05 AM
howdy again,

so if i understand properly, if i save the SURFACE, then the entire, connected node network that belongs to that surface is replicated too... but if i export from the node editor, only individual nodes are saved and they are not connected?

that'll do.... somehow i still feel that being able to save specified networks of nodes is valuable... but this'll definitely do.

jin

UnCommonGrafx
07-29-2006, 05:59 AM
No one has mentioned this yet so I will.

Right, they don't import connected. However, if you use the comment field at the bottom (using return after you've typed your comment) to let you know where that component needs to be connected, the process becomes much more fluid and useable.

The comment field is the saving grace in this situation.

colkai
07-29-2006, 06:56 AM
Dang, you know, that's so obvious I'm amazed it ain't been picked up on before.

Nice idea UnCommon! :)

Karmacop
07-29-2006, 09:06 AM
Why not share them? It doesn't make much sense to have multiple copies
of presets for the same thing. Procedurals and textures are the same for Displacements or Surfaces.
Well it depends on how some things work. Textures and basic math stuff is fine, but what if in the future we have nodal modeling tools that allows you to get some data that isn't possible for say voxels? It would be better if all nodes were in the one preset shelf (with folders for surfaces, displacements etc), I'm just worried about node graphs that don't transport well.

As it is now, if i click presets while the nodal displacement editor is open,
i get the surface presets folder open!
It opens the last active preset shelf. If you open hypervoxels before going into nodal displacements then hypervoxel presets will be shown.

Karmacop
07-29-2006, 09:08 AM
howdy again,

so if i understand properly, if i save the SURFACE, then the entire, connected node network that belongs to that surface is replicated too... but if i export from the node editor, only individual nodes are saved and they are not connected?
They are connected to each other, just not the final surface (or displacement or vlight) node. This is for exporting specific chunks of a node graph, maybe a nice texture, that you could import into another surface and use as a bump map.