PDA

View Full Version : modeling question

punisher2005
07-25-2006, 12:41 PM
This is probably a newbie question, but is there a way to draw a shape and then extrude it? Maybe with the sketch tool?

Basically, What I want to do is draw a side view of an object, say an irregularly concrete block like your car bumps against in parking lots, then just extrude it to make it 3d instead of 2d.
This type of object only really has shape on one side and then has depth in the same shape, so drawing rather than modifiy a cylinder or something would be easier.

Also, is there a way to draw and object using the 4 different views then have LW sort of fill in the space in between.
As an example, instead of using the box tool, I would draw a square on all 4 views and then "join" them to make a box.

Giacomo99
07-25-2006, 02:48 PM
This is an easy thing to do. In Modeler, create a polygon using the "Pen" tool, and then use "Extrude" (under the "Modify" tab" to give it depth.

There are probably several tutorials online to help you with this sort of thing.

GM

THREEL
07-25-2006, 04:34 PM
This is probably a newbie question, but is there a way to draw a shape and then extrude it? Maybe with the sketch tool?

When ever I've used the Extrude, I've either had to merge the extrusion to the first polygon and/or flip the new geometry.

There's 2 other ways to do this. Probably a thousand more, if you really think about it.:D One of the easiest is to add points to make the outer edge of the barrier. Then, you make a polygon by pressing (p) with your points still selected. Make sure you made or selected your points in a clockwise order, so your polygon will be facing you. Now, use Extender Plus. When you first use this command, it will look like nothing happened, but if you keep those points selected, and do a move command you'll see your new geometry. If you want to sub-patch this model, you'll have to make the ends 3 or 4 point polygons.

The other way to do this is to make a long Box (Shift+x) in the dirction you want your barrier to run. In your numerical dialogue box give your box that you're creating sections, especially horizontal ones running along the end of the box. Now all you have to do is strecth (h) the points that you want smaller, until they look the way that you want.

If you want to sub-patch this model, you'll either have to Bandsaw/Bandsaw -pro close to the outer edges, or put a high sub-patch weight on the ends.

If you want to see examples of these modeling techniques, just let me know.

THREEL, but you can call me Al.