PDA

View Full Version : Crashes on new Mac Intel

gcrescoli
07-25-2006, 09:07 AM
Hello,

It is practically impossible to work work with LW 8.5 on my iMac/Intel.
Mac OS X 10.4.7 - ATI RadeonX1600)
I'm getting a crash almost every 10 minutes. fPrime seems also to encounter a few problems.
I've tried to re-install it but there is no change.
Is there any solutions ? or should I upgrade to LW9?

Thanks for your help
Gino

avkills
07-25-2006, 09:32 AM
Yeah, don't use non universal binaries on Intel based Macs. Lightwave is running emulated by Rosetta; I am not surprised it crashes.

LW 9 is not universal yet either. I would install boot camp on it, install Windows and get a new license for your dongle for Windows 32bit.

-mark

Chilton
07-25-2006, 09:40 AM
Howdy,

As a fun 'it's Tuesday, I have nothing better to do with my time' kind of thing, I'm playing with LightWave on my iNtel iMac now, and will be happy to help anyone having problems. As soon as WindowsXP lets me have my Mac partition back (installing WindowsXP SP2 now...)

-Chilton

avkills
07-25-2006, 09:49 AM
Howdy,

As a fun 'it's Tuesday, I have nothing better to do with my time' kind of thing, I'm playing with LightWave on my iNtel iMac now, and will be happy to help anyone having problems. As soon as WindowsXP lets me have my Mac partition back (installing WindowsXP SP2 now...)

-Chilton

Interesting.... how does it run Chilton? Personally I would never run a hard core app such as LW through emulation. I am actually surprised that it works.

Just be glad your not listening to what I am digitizing into the edit machine right now. ;)

-mark

rnb2
07-25-2006, 01:25 PM
LW 9 is not universal yet either. I would install boot camp on it, install Windows and get a new license for your dongle for Windows 32bit.

-mark

Which brings me to my question, since Chilton is here - I'm thinking of getting back into Lightwave after a few years away. I currently have a new MacBook 1.83GHz with 2GB of ram. My thought is to buy Lightwave and run it under Boot Camp until a UB version is released - how does one handle the license issue?

I just did a search, and came up with a thread on SpinQuad that says I just need to notify NewTek that I want my dongle to be licensed for both platforms - is that right?

Rick

Chilton
07-25-2006, 02:29 PM
LightWave's policy regarding this is awesome. Similar to my earlier statements regarding the awesomeness of the product, this statement is no different. It is awesome.

NewTek will let you freely use your registered copy of LightWave on your Mac and your PC. The existence of BootCamp does not change this. All it means to you is that you don't have as far to move the dongle as you switch from OSX to XP.

-Chilton

rnb2
07-25-2006, 02:37 PM
Chilton - thanks, excellent news!

A couple days ago, I was pretty much settled on Modo, since it's UB already, but with the price that Safe Harbor is selling LW9 for these days and given that I already have a history with LW, I'm leaning more toward getting back into LW instead.

Rick

Kuzey
07-26-2006, 03:21 AM
Wouldn't you still need to change your dongle to a dual Mac/Pc dongle so XP can read it?

Kuzey

Chilton
07-26-2006, 06:51 AM
Hi,

The dongle is platform agnostic. In other words, it's just a chunk of hardware. Actually, if you buy LightWave in a store, you get the dongle, and the Mac and PC software installers.

-Chilton