PDA

View Full Version : Pixels Per Polygon flawed?

Sande
07-25-2006, 08:22 AM
I'm not exactly sure what is going on - have I understood Pixels Per Polygon-subdivion wrong somehow, is it just some bug, or is it really seriously flawed?

Seems like it subdivides object only at frame 0 - after that it keeps the polystructure unchanged during the whole animation, regardless how the object turns or how close to the camera some parts of it come. I have tested this with couple of objects (I was originally doing some turntable-animation when I noticed this) and it behaves exactly the same each time.

I had a still camera that was keyed at frame 0 and the object was animated to rotate full 360 degrees. There were no movement (translation), only rotation in the object - I'm not sure if this has something to do with it...

I don't think Pixels Per Polygon should work like this - this makes PPP completely useless in animations, where this would otherwise be most useful.

messiah
07-25-2006, 08:59 AM
it does seem like you are doing something wrong as PPP works the way it should work(aka the input value is set to the size of polygons in pixels in any orientation), if you have a scene file please post it and Ill have a look.

Earl
07-25-2006, 09:17 AM
I can confirm what Sande has posted. Attached is my test scene. The object is a simple subD shape. The subdivision setting is at Pixels Per Polygon 100. At frame zero (see attached image) the polyons are quite small, averaging about 40 pixels to each polygon (total area). At frame 29 (see image) the polygons are much larger. There is only one keyframe, for the object, and it simply rotates the object on its heading 180 degrees.

Karmacop
07-25-2006, 09:19 AM
Change the subdivision order to after motion

Earl
07-25-2006, 09:42 AM
You're right. hehe... :foreheads

Sande
07-25-2006, 10:56 AM
Change the subdivision order to after motion

Heh, I'm at home right now and can't test that, but I guess I won't have to... :) D'oh! :foreheads