PDA

View Full Version : LW9 Can't Install latest release.

scott61264
07-25-2006, 04:37 AM
I'm not sure what this is.
I'm running WinXP Pro, I am the administrator. I recently installed the last (beta) build of LW9 with no problem before it went to the official release, but the official release I keep getting this window which says the following...

"You don't have the required privileges to continue the installation. Please have your system administrator (or some other user with higher privileges) install this software
(Couldn't get write access to the "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.srf" registry key)

I have, to date, never seen this message for any other program and I also have installed several programs since trying to install LW9.
I also went into regedit and tried to manually just open/close the registries...each time I hit ok I get an error saying "error writing the values new content"
Anyone got a clue could you email me and thanks
Scott

scott61264
07-25-2006, 03:44 PM
Anyone?

KZSWTV27
07-25-2006, 04:10 PM
Sounds like a rights issue...Is this your personal computer or work computer?....You need to have administrative rights to install some software...right click and click "run as" and then put in your username and password and see if this works.

w_will
07-25-2006, 04:33 PM
One long shot might be to try a restore point. Alternatly rebooting into safe more and selecting last working might work too. Have you rebooted since uninstalling the beta? It might be that your registry became corupted and XP will install an alternate version upon bootup if it recognizes an error in the registry. If your account is part of the adminstrator group, log out and try using the administrator account itself. If all that does not work try checking add/remove programs to make sure the machine does not think there is an installed copy of LW9 and remove it if there is. One last thing is to search for config files under your normal account and under "all users" and delete them. If none of that helps then I'd say a fresh OS load might be a fun weekend project...

scott61264
07-25-2006, 06:45 PM
This is my computer at home. I am the admin and it boots directly to only my profile , I'm the only user.
Unfortunately I have no restore points for this computer...mostly because I just didn't have the space on the drive. I did try loggin in and out...and rebooting 3 or 4 times. I uninstalled the old beta version and it still doesn't install.
As far as re installing the OS. Very unlikely. I'd rather just wait for an update to LW9. Sorry to sound so downright ticked, but I run several 3D programs including C4D Studio, I've never had any problem installing any other software and even installed my Vue5 infinite, Blender, and several other freeware programs today without any hitches....this seems like a bug and not my computer becuase why would the the last beta version install fine only a day or two before??????

scott61264
07-27-2006, 08:06 PM
Does anyone know where I can redownload the last build of the beta please. I uninstalled it thinking IT was hindering me from installing the new LW9 and from what I gather it is the same as the new release.

Silkrooster
07-27-2006, 09:00 PM
Right click on the lightwave folder and see who has permission for that folder. Before reinstalling lightwave, delete that folder, allow lightwave to recreate that folder. It may be nothing more that a corrupt permissions problem.
Since I have not heard of anyone else having this issue, I would tend to believe that the problem is with your registry and not with lightwave.
But then again it is still very early in the game, so I could be wrong.
BTW, Lightwave 9 is no longer beta.
Silk

scott61264
07-27-2006, 09:18 PM
I finally found the solution!! It was none of the above but thanks to everyone who helped me out with suggestions.
Here's the solution for anyone who may ever run into something similar.

I ran regedit from the windows run menu.
Went to the offending registries and everytime I would click them and hit OK, I would get another error message saying I couldn't overwrite data.

FINALLY, I checked the permissions (why I didn't do this first....??? smacks head and says DOH! ) under the edit menu. Sure enough, these 2 registries had their special permsiions checked, so I switched them to FULL and ...LW9 is finally on my computer.

Again, thanks to everyone who tried to help out. I thought I was going to have to switch my install to another computer which means changing the dongle whenever I want to run 8.5. (it may never happen, but who knows...)
Scott