PDA

View Full Version : Windpath and handles...

Cageman
07-25-2006, 03:31 AM
Hi.

Doing some experimenting with Windpath and particles. Cool! Well, sort of, because if I animate the handles over time, the particles will not follow the path. :/

Should it work, or did I expect too much?

Cageman
07-25-2006, 03:37 AM
Ignore this!

I forgot to animate one of the handles..... *DOH*

:bangwall:

BeeVee
07-25-2006, 04:17 AM
It's certainly tricky knowing when to move the handles - will the particles be in that area at the time, or will they have already left? But it's true to say that hours of fun can be had moving nulls... ;)

Try to scale or rotate if you haven't done so already. I really like twisting my particles into a vortex.

B

Cageman
07-25-2006, 04:55 AM
It's certainly tricky knowing when to move the handles - will the particles be in that area at the time, or will they have already left? But it's true to say that hours of fun can be had moving nulls... ;)

Try to scale or rotate if you haven't done so already. I really like twisting my particles into a vortex.

B

Actually... I'm doing a tornado... :) The sim looks ok, had to bring down the emitter to only 1 particle/frame to be able to see how it looks. I have now changed the emitter to 25 particles/frame and it takes forever to calculate the simulation. Right now, there are 226482 particles, have reached frame 215, endframe is 500. It takes more than 2 minutes / frame to do the simulation, which feels totaly wrong, on the other hand, the windpath have both scale and rotation to bring the shape of the tornado. The complexity isn't that great in LW, but for the particles it may be a realy advanced calculation.

EDIT: Seems that LW has frozen. :/ Have to bring down the emitter to really low values if I'm going to get anything out of LW. Would be cool if dynamic calculations could use multiple processors/threads.

EDIT2: Ohh my... I had it to 25 particles/frame... *LOL* Another thing... when I click on calc-button for the particles and activate another window (in this case Firefox), LW-window freezes and you won't see anything until the simulation finishes.

BeeVee
07-25-2006, 05:19 AM
hmm, never noticed it going slowly particularly, but I also haven't pushed as much as you on my slow machine. Mind you, use the FX Browser window to calculate since then you can navigate away from LW safely.

B

Cageman
07-25-2006, 05:29 AM
hmm, never noticed it going slowly particularly, but I also haven't pushed as much as you on my slow machine. Mind you, use the FX Browser window to calculate since then you can navigate away from LW safely.

B

Thanks for the tip! I remember reading it somewhere else, but I thought it was only for cloth and those types of dynamics. Should have known better. :)

I think I've reached a limit here, 75 particles/second. I will calculate that and save to a file, add another emitter, use the same file with an offset to add density. And then some voodoo-magic with HV:s... should work... :)

I hope to have some results to show later... :)

Cageman
07-26-2006, 04:14 PM
Hmmm...

I still got alot of trouble simulating the particles. When it reach about 200 particles, it's a standstill... :( But if I press the play-button, it goes through almost in realtime... Why is the calc so slow?

I will now make a fresh scene and use a normal wind-effect to see if the windpath with animated handles is slowing the process down so much.

duke
07-26-2006, 07:31 PM
If you guys didnt know already, you can actually size the handles which sizes the falloff :)