PDA

View Full Version : Dual Monitor problem

Ignatius
07-24-2006, 08:04 PM
I'm having a strange problem when i want to use dual monitors with lightwave. When i span it across both monitors, the last 30-40% of the timeline disappears. I have a nvidia 5900xt card. I've tried a bunch of things, downloading different drivers, making the left or right monitor the primary one, using dual view, using horizontal span, nothing works. Does anyone know how to fix this? I'd really appreciate the help. I cant find the solution anywhere.

Thanks.

geothefaust
07-24-2006, 10:00 PM
Hi Ignatius. I'm not exactly sure what would cause that.

Have you tried moving Layout to your secondary monitor, does it still continue when you do so?

Which version of Lightwave are you using?

Ignatius
07-24-2006, 10:10 PM
Layout works fine in either monitor, primary or secondary. But when i expand layout onto both screens, that timeline thing happens.

Im using Lightwave 9.

This is really strange. If i change my resolution down to 800x600 on both monitors, the timeline problem gets fixed. But if i use my normal settings, 1280x1024 than i get that timeline problem.

spec24
07-25-2006, 10:59 AM
yeah - same problem - and everyone else using dual monitors too. Don't know why NT hasn't fixed this, should be an easy one. Has been doing ti at least since 7 (since I had dual monitors).

Ignatius
07-31-2006, 08:41 PM
I thought i'd bump this back up, cause this is still a problem for me that i cant figure out yet. I was wondering if someone may know anything still?

jackany
08-03-2006, 06:55 AM
How did you configure the Dual-Monitor Setup?

I know I experienced that problem long ago, too.

My solution was to not configure the two screens as one large screen with the system bar spanning both of them, e.g. 3200x1200 px.
I configured my two screens as an independent dual configuration within the nVidia Control Panel: 2x 1600x1200.
If you are using a card from nVidia, there are some more options within that panel, to finetune the behaviours of opened program windows and popup dialogs.
Like spanning across both monitors or opening only on screen 1 or 2 and so on.

Hope this helps...

ZeroPoint
08-16-2006, 09:56 PM
I've been using dual monitor setups since LW7 without problems (once I disabled spanning and went with independent monitors), but with LW9, there is a big problem. I have Layout on the primary monitor and Modeler on the secondary, just as I had it with 8.0, 8.2, and 8.5. With LW9, modeler comes up with no gridlines displayed, and if I load an object, it too is invisible. When I move the window to the primary monitor, gridlines show on two of the views, but not the third. If I resize the window, everything shows up, including the mesh. Then if I move it back to the secondary monitor, all is okay until I maximize the window and it all goes away again.

I have an FX-60 system with a 7900 GTX 512MB with 9.1.3.3 beta driver (recommended to solve an issue with Modo). I have not been able to resolve this problem, but have found that if I display Modeler on the primary monitor, it is okay. This would appear to be a Lightwave 9 problem since previous versions worked fine.

This is not just Modeler. Layout also loses its display as well (no gridlines, objects, or other items). This makes it impossible to use dual displays with LW9 since neither Modeler or Layout will display properly on the secondary monitor.

UPDATE: I just tried LW8.5 and it has the same problem. So maybe this is a problem with the nVidia beta drivers and not LW. Now I'm not sure if I ever tried LW8.5 on this system, but I was definitely running LW8.2 on it. It is possible I never ran LW at all after updating the drivers, since I was working with Modo at the time. I'll try going back to the 9.1.3.1 drivers which are not beta. YESSSS!!! That solved the problem! nVidia users: don't use the 9.1.3.3 drivers!!

avkills
08-16-2006, 11:38 PM
What's the video RAM on that card?

-mark

DrTWT
08-16-2006, 11:57 PM
Hmmm, never ran across that problem before (I guess I never wanted layout on both screens, usually have Layout on 1 and a bunch of dialogs on the other) but I can recreate it on my system (dual opteron, with Wildcat Realizm 100). I use Ultramon to configure my dual monitors (both at 1280x1024).

I can't get the layout timeline to stretch out all the way across the 2nd monitor, seems that there is a pixel-width limit inherent (maybe that's why you can get it to go at 800x600, maybe it won't stretch past 1600 or so absolute pixels...)

When I move the window to the primary monitor, gridlines show on two of the views, but not the third. If I resize the window, everything shows up, including the mesh. Then if I move it back to the secondary monitor, all is okay until I maximize the window and it all goes away again.

haven't had this problem.

please post if you find a fix.

Red_Oddity
08-17-2006, 03:17 AM
Never seen this problem, ever, not with my Quadro card or my Geforce 6800GT, both set to Horizontal Span.

The only real annoyance for me is the popup menu behaviour (i usually have my Layout set on the Left window and my Modeler on the Right, so when accessing , say, the file menu, it often spans both monitors, making it pretty hard to read.

Maybe try tweaking a bit with RivaTuner (so many options that are disabled in the 'make it for consumers' preferences can be enabled to either fix the problem or make it worse :) )