PDA

View Full Version : AMD buys ATI

KSTAR
07-24-2006, 06:15 PM
Big news in the computing world. I didn't realize AMD has such deep pockets. it will be interesting to see how this pans out

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060724/bs_nm/ati_dc

Skinner3D
07-24-2006, 06:22 PM
8~ Definately interesting news. I hope the AMD core migrates into the ATI cards. The best case scenario that could come out of this is a video card that runs really well and really cool in comparison to other cards.
We will see.:)

newtekker04
07-24-2006, 08:57 PM
Interesting, indeed. I like AMD chips, but have never used an ATI card. I understand they want to compete with Intel, but not too sure how buyin ATI will pull them ahead in the long run. Who knows........?

kfinla
07-24-2006, 09:28 PM
I think this could be interesting since Apple is supposedly realsing its new mac lineup in a week or two with the ATI X1900XT.. Since macs are all intel based.. or will be very shortly.. wonder if this will change things.

geothefaust
07-24-2006, 09:41 PM
Wow, very curious developement. I wonder how this will pan out? AMD is already doing well with just their processors, I can only imagine how well this will unfold.

Defiance
07-24-2006, 09:56 PM
There goes my favourite AMD/nVidia system configuration. I've been using that for the last 5 years and have no problems.

SP00
07-25-2006, 02:21 AM
So far from what I have heard, they are making this move because Intel is going for a powerful graphics integrated solution. AMD, does not have the Graphics expertise to compete, so they are going to get ATI for help in this area. Basically it will be business as usually, expect the roadmap for AMD and ATI cpu will come together by 2008 for the low end market.

Penforhire
07-25-2006, 09:03 AM
AMD/ATI fully expect to see Nvidia/Intel slowly separate from their normal shared businesses. So, long term, it is unlikely to see a great Nvidia product for an AMD solution. This is a much bigger risk for ATI's business than AMD's since Intel is such a big chunk of ATI's current business.

lots
07-26-2006, 01:02 PM
There goes my favourite AMD/nVidia system configuration. I've been using that for the last 5 years and have no problems.
Actually no. The merger should in fact favor Nvidia over anything else. AMD has no interest in the high end computer graphics market, leaving Nvidia to dominate this entire market. Like Intel, AMD is interested in creating its own motherboard chipsets, and its own onboard graphics solutions (Intel is the #1 producer of graphics chips in the world). In fact, Nvidia's CEO has been quoted, saying that this is a very happy day for Nvidia, when AMD acquires ATI, why? Because AMD just consumed Nvidia's major competition in the graphics chip market, the embeded mobile market, and other various things.

Nvidia is one of AMD's tier 1 partners for thier torrenza initiative. I'm fairly sure that AMD has no intention on stepping on Nvidia's toes. In fact AMD is where it is today in part to Nvidia, there is a very strong bond here.

What AMD can do with ATI's engineers is put them to work on intigrated solutions. AMD's upcoming technologies such as HTX, on die GPU, and other things. On top of that, this gives AMD headway into embeded devices such as cell phones, and other small portables. Additionally, we may see dual core CPUs from AMD with the second core being an actual GPU or some other vector based co processor. There are so many new options that open up to AMD beyond just graphics chips that this is a good thing. And unlike Intel, AMD respects its partners and will most likely stay out of Nvidia's way.

Sure there's potential for bad, but AMD is not Intel, and much of the GPU landscape may stay the same for the short term.

Also, I think it would be silly for Nvidia to ignore a relativly large chunk of the market. Why would you suddonly turn your back on AMD's entire line of products, wouldn't you fight to keep your share? Afterall, Intel already produces CPUs, intigrated GPUs, and motherboards, is that not what AMD does (or will be doing) as well? I see no reason to prefer Intel over AMD in this case. If anything this should widen Nvidia's market share to cover more platforms. How funny would it be for Intel to ship notebooks with AMD's graphics chips? :)

Lord Snarebotto
07-26-2006, 03:13 PM
I prefer strong market competition. It is better for consumers. Hopefully ATI will gain something from this as well, and give nVidia even more competition.

Defiance
07-26-2006, 07:59 PM
Actually no. The merger should in fact favor Nvidia over anything else. AMD has no interest in the high end computer graphics market, leaving Nvidia to dominate this entire market.

That's even worse. We need competition between ATI and nVidia.

But you are correct; AMD is much more committed to keeping open standards than Intel is.

calilifestyle
07-27-2006, 05:02 PM
Yeah this seems like a bad thing to us, but what do i know. i mean dang less competition. i guess let just wait and see how this goes. im kind of confused this buy out was allowed. i mean look at all that hype when compact was bought. oh well

lots
07-28-2006, 09:14 AM
I wasnt saying it was good for consumers :P from that vantage point, I dont think the GPU market will advance quickly without competition from ATI. Unless AMD does intend to pick up where ATI left off? But then they would be stepping on Nvidia's toes..

I'm sure something between the two companies has been agreed apon... Just dont know if that is a godo thing for consumers :P

Also another thing to keep in mind is that this merger has not yet gone through all of its hoops. It may yet be denied. It will also take some time for the changes to take effect.

Penforhire
07-28-2006, 09:19 AM
The video card market used to be more fluid in terms of leadership than just a two-player game. Maybe others will rise to the occasion (Matrox, Hercules, S3,...)?

calilifestyle
07-28-2006, 10:55 AM
This is funny for me (off the topic a bit) way back in the days i couldnt make up my mind on what video card to buy,so i bought a vodoo, figured they been around for awhile. well week later they where sold to Nvidia. Last month i got my self an ATI card , great . man i give.

Defiance
07-28-2006, 05:24 PM
The video card market used to be more fluid in terms of leadership than just a two-player game. Maybe others will rise to the occasion (Matrox, Hercules, S3,...)?

I was a bit wrapped up in the video card wars back then. This was around '97-'98. Matrox, S3 and Trident weren't 3D players. 3dfx was once the king of 3D gaming but useless for 3D apps. nVidia became a serious contender with Riva 128 and TNT. Rendition (sold to NEC I think) had some good chips, the Verite V1100 and the supposed V2200. I had a 3Dlabs consumer card, the only cheap OpenGL card at the time that worked with LightWave. Those were the times when there was the most to keep track of. It would be cool if one of these other companies came up with something but it's been disappointing so far. S3's latest, for example, is still no good. Rendition is gone and I haven't heard anything about 3Dlabs' consumer cards in a long time.