PDA

View Full Version : IKB locked in z axis

Dodgy
07-24-2006, 04:15 PM
Hiya,

While using IKB I've come across this odd behavior. When I try to drag an item, I can't move it in the Global z-axis. I can drag all the items in the x/y axes, but not in the z, which is making moving hands around painfull to say the least... Anyone else come across this behaviour, and if so, found a way out of it?

<edit> Just adding a string of bones and adding IKB shows up this behaviour now :P Gonna try trashing my configs, see what happens.

<edit> Just found out that if you deactivate one of the buttons in the numeric panel while in IKB tool mode, you won't be able to move any item (using IKB) in that axis.... Wish I'd known that an hour ago!

omeone
07-25-2006, 01:31 AM
an hour is not too bad - took me about 5! I nearly cried...
all caused by an innocent little slip on the keyboard...

although... it did lead me to another discovery...
When a node is 'fixed' and you right-click on it, another option appears in the menu... Set Goal Nnnnn

Works best so far like a traditional setup.

2 advantages so far:
Turn on Match Goal Orientation and it locks Rotation as well as Position.
Finally, I can import a spline as a motion path and have a node follow it.

1 disadvantage: Not being full-time is probably a bad thing here, the Goal needs a 'nudge' on each key to make the chain snap into position.

omeone
07-25-2006, 01:35 AM
2 disadvantages: Quaternion Joints above the Goal in the chain cause weird behaviour...

3 [advantage / disadvantage]: Allows broken limits back up the chain

Dodgy
07-25-2006, 02:22 AM
Yeah I can't see this 'goal' being very useful (apart from just using it to set an ik goal) at the moment. Okay you can fix the orientation using match goal, but you could do that in normal IK, and if you reset the goal, the match orientation rotations are lost :P

omeone
07-25-2006, 03:20 AM
Well I suppose it can be used to make the 'hybrid' style rig without using LW_IK, but it could be turned on or off as needed. It works OK, but too fidgety to use.
Hybrid was not something I needed personally anyway, but I'm very glad it gives me 'some' way to control the path of a node, something I did really need before.

That reset rotations thing is a right bugger, there must be a fix...