PDA

View Full Version : Ordered the QUAD!

old fashioned d
07-24-2006, 11:39 AM
with 4 gigs of ram and the Nvidia 7800 as well as the 23" cinema display :)

I decided against waiting for the Intel machines since theres some audio software I use that wont be UB until next year( not to mention Adobes stuff and LW) and I really had to get a new Mac now so...

Its gonna be rough seeing Apple announce the new Intel KILLER power Macs in a few weeks but I figure i'll get a good 2-3 years out of this machine and then make the jump to Intel.

CAN'T WAIT :D

Hoopy
07-24-2006, 01:10 PM
Me too! Now my 2 year old G5 dual 2.5 and my new Quad play happily together in screamernet. It is just awesome. Render speeds have trebled.

toby
07-24-2006, 07:36 PM
I'm thinking about a Quad-zilla too. Completely skip the transition pains. And after the Intel one comes out the Quad will get cheaper :beerchug:

But then if a Dual-Quad core Intel came out I'd be pissed!

avkills
07-24-2006, 08:38 PM
I have been pondering the idea of getting some core duo minis for a render farm, of course I will be waiting for UBs. ??

-mark

Avebeno
07-24-2006, 08:56 PM
I've been thinking of doing the same, but won't the price drop after the new machines are introduced?

js33
07-24-2006, 10:48 PM
The Clovertown Macs coming out soon will be 4 times faster than a current quad g5 so I would wait.

toby
07-24-2006, 11:14 PM
!
Is that a quad-core or do you think a dual core can be that fast?

js33
07-24-2006, 11:46 PM
Dual Quad-core Clovertowns. That's what I'm waiting for. I think they will only have Dual dual-core Woodcrests in August. The quad-core Clovertowns are supposed to be out by the end of the year so that's what I'm saying will be 4 times faster than a Quad G5. Because I believe a dual-core Woodcrest is twice as fast as a dual-core g5 so if you double that again with 8 cores. Maybe it will be faster than 4 times.

avkills
07-25-2006, 03:11 AM
Dual Quad-core Clovertowns. That's what I'm waiting for. I think they will only have Dual dual-core Woodcrests in August. The quad-core Clovertowns are supposed to be out by the end of the year so that's what I'm saying will be 4 times faster than a Quad G5. Because I believe a dual-core Woodcrest is twice as fast as a dual-core g5 so if you double that again with 8 cores. Maybe it will be faster than 4 times.

I doubt the woodcrest is going to be that fast. The Core Duo Intel chipset currently being used is maybe just a bit faster than a 2 core G5.

Of course I would hesitate to speculate until we have a machine and benchmarks done from someone other than Apple or Intel.

The Intel chips do look like they are going to be good though, although I just read that a 17" MBP drops frames at DV res from a LaCie FW800 drive, which is not good.

-mark