PDA

View Full Version : Iclone check this out! Turn a picture into a 3d character!

Seti Orion
07-24-2006, 02:08 AM
http://www.reallusion.com/iclone/default.asp

I have wanted to learn how to do this with lightwave for awhile now!

Anyone know more about this?

Can you import the a 3d character into lightwave, then add bones
and animate?

Can lightwave do the the same thing but even better?

Is there other programs that work with lightwave and are better for this type of thing?

I have only been using lightwave for 6 months and still suck but this type of thing is why I wanted to get into 3d in the 1st place.

Seti Orion
07-24-2006, 04:56 PM
anyone care to comment?

Skinner3D
07-24-2006, 06:44 PM
:D I think you have lack of comments because nobody know the answers to your questions. If you could get this program to export to an obj or dxf or some other thing that Lightwave recognizes than yeah you could animate, etc. Until you posted about it I had never heard of the program, so I don't know if it can do this or not.

Seti Orion
07-24-2006, 07:49 PM
thanks for the reply.

It must be a newer program

It looks pretty dam cool.

Someone has got to know if lightwave can do the same thing?

I bet it can but not as easy.

lede
07-24-2006, 10:14 PM
Not sure might have to play with the demo version for a while but I would say its pre-generated faces that then map the picture onto their wire frames. I could not find if it could export their 3D geometry to any 3D format their more concerned about generating their own renders from their internal engine.

Check their forums they may have some expereince in getting the files out into a 3D pakedge. The closest spec I could find about 3D was 3DStudioMax but that was more on importing than exporting. Again get the demo and play around with it and see what you can come up with.

-Lee

lede
07-24-2006, 10:21 PM
Did some digging and here is what was reviewed on CNet:

When you're satisfied with your character, you can save it in such formats as AVI and animated GIF. Though clearly not for professional use, It'sMe provides a fun way for everyday users to get their feet wet in animation.

Hope this helps answer your questions. Probably not a good program to get if your seriouse about getting into 3D animation. Your best to save the money and maybe buy some other animating tools.

-Lee

Seti Orion
07-24-2006, 10:42 PM
Can lightwave do what I what iclone can?

Paul24
07-25-2006, 12:52 AM
Can lightwave do what I what iclone can?

The short answer is YES. Lightwave can do everything that Iclone can.
The differences are:
Iclone can animate very very quickly because it's all done for you.
Lightwave will take you much longer to do the same thing but with more freedom and much better quality.
I don't think that you can export from Iclone to Lightwave except as video.
I don't think that you can import from Lightwave to Iclone, you need to buy a plugin and 3D Studio Max for that.
So with Iclone you're limited to Iclone's characters.
With Lightwave you can model you own character or buy one, it's up to you.

Now animation is something else.
With Iclone is fully "automatic" .. walk, run, jump, dance ........... almost a drag and drop animation process.
With Lightwave you have to do some rigging first then work on the animation. It will take you much longer but with so much freedom.

So if you want to have fun quickly, I would say Iclone.
If you want to do "serious" works = Lightwave, no question about it.

Cheers:)