PDA

View Full Version : RealFlow/LW the drama begins

soioartist
07-24-2006, 02:07 AM
hi everybody
i would like to start a thread about using RF 3 with LW8.x and LW 9. there are no forums on the nextlimit site and i hardly find any info elsewhere. i know that stooch and celshader are actually using this program, anybody else? what about sharing settings, tricks for using RF with LW etc.
for starters:
1. it's possible to render RFanimations with Fprime, make shure that you have the first mesh (exported from RF) selected when starting a fprime image sequence render.
2. make shure that you texture the partigon surface within LW.
3. if you lower the blend factor for the mesh within RF (eg. 70) you get a less blobby liquid.
cheers
simon

soioartist
07-25-2006, 01:43 AM
ok!
wetmaps and particles rendered with HV work too. it took me 1 day to figure it out...the combination of imported particles (.bin sequence) and HV shading with fprime crashes all the time.

EyelandArts.com
07-25-2006, 10:08 AM
what would be interesting is that, now that LW9 layout can generate geometry "on the fly", that nextlimit would update their plugin to generate the mesh from point data directly in layout instead of having to export a mesh sequence.

Stooch
07-26-2006, 07:21 PM
actually, to be honest the connection with LW is horrible and i utterly hate using LW with realflow, really buggy, problematic and just a general pain in the ***.

there are very exciting things going on with messiah and TLH shaders from mr helze in the messiah forum. they produce excellent results and render extremely fast. messiah is a great transparency/reflection render so i highly recommend checking out messiah for your liquid rendering needs. one drawback that messiah has is the lack of vector blur support (embedded in RF mesh sequences), hopefully this will get addressed soon.

Celshader
07-26-2006, 07:55 PM
one drawback that messiah has is the lack of vector blur support (embedded in RF mesh sequences), hopefully this will get addressed soon.

Can messiah access a LightWave object's endomorphs? If so, problem solved. Create a morph envelope with -100% at frame 0, 0% at frame 1, and set the end behavior to the messiah equivalent of "Repeat." Voila -- you'll have your motion blur.

That said, RealFlow 3 (and 4, I think) does not embed a "Speed" endomorph with the MPolygons and MClone objects, only the Metaball objects. It is not possible to get motion blur on MPolygon and MClone LWO objects, whether in LightWave or messiah.

-+-
-+-

We've been using RealFlow3 and (more recently) RealFlow4 here at work. All I can say is: DO NOT USE the displacement plug-in called RealFlow_mesh_sequence. Use any other plug-in but that one -- its surfacing works fine on local renders, but not across a render farm. Plus, it can crash LightWave if you delete the partigon object without removing the plug-in first.

Use the "surfrep.exe" utility instead for stuff that will go on a render farm. It hasn't been updated for LW9.0's Node surfacing yet, but it's still useful:
http://www.nextlimit.com/download/lightwave/surfrep.zip

-+-

surfrep.exe tips:

DO NOT try to overwrite the original sequence with the surfaced sequence -- you will destroy all the meshes of the original sequence instead.

DO use a "name#####.lwo" convention to name the first object in the surfaced sequence. surfrep.exe chops the last nine characters off of the target filename, so "name#####.lwo" becomes "name" to surfrep.exe, which will then add its own "#####.lwo" to the end of each object in the sequence. If you try using "name" instead of "name#####.lwo" to name the first object in the surfaced sequence, you'll end up with a chopped name or even just a series of numbers for your surfaced sequence.

-+-

Also, having used RealFlow + LightWave for over a year, I find LW9.0 more suitable for RealFlow work than LW8.5. Not only can LW9.0 handle massive object sequences without hanging, it can also render many more HyperVoxels than LW8.5.

GregMalick
07-27-2006, 12:14 AM
actually, to be honest the connection with LW is horrible and i utterly hate using LW with realflow, really buggy, problematic and just a general pain in the ***.

there are very exciting things going on with messiah and TLH shaders from mr helze in the messiah forum. they produce excellent results and render extremely fast. messiah is a great transparency/reflection render so i highly recommend checking out messiah for your liquid rendering needs. one drawback that messiah has is the lack of vector blur support (embedded in RF mesh sequences), hopefully this will get addressed soon.Could you post a link to the forum you are referring to. I'd like to check it out.

Stooch
07-27-2006, 06:42 AM
this is the link to the cg society messiah forums, im a regular there:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=92&page=2&sort=lastpost&order=&pp=25&daysprune=30

and this is the thread in question, these shaders make glass/water a snap and are actually much more accurate then basic fresnel. mr helze is da man.

his shaders are worth every penny and doesnt take many pennies.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=343952

i did some liquid render tests there using realflow sequences (towards the end of the thread, i will be making more once i get some free time - so keep watching that thread)

WCameron
07-27-2006, 06:52 PM
dunno if its being updated for RF4 stuff - but the forum they (maybe on purpose?) removed all links to off the main site is still here:

http://www.nextlimit.com/phpBB2/index.php?sid=bd3554df7253227fc18a82656eb4d044

- Will.

Jockomo
10-22-2006, 08:05 PM
Also, having used RealFlow + LightWave for over a year, I find LW9.0 more suitable for RealFlow work than LW8.5. Not only can LW9.0 handle massive object sequences without hanging, it can also render many more HyperVoxels than LW8.5.

I am looking for information on what has changed in LW9 in regards to Realflow. I know there were problems with the objrep.p plugin that was provided by newtek.

Is there any way to get a revision history on the objrep.p plugin? I know they broke it at one point in 7.5c and you had to use an older version.

Jockomo
10-22-2006, 08:14 PM
I'd also like to know if you have to get RF4 to gain this stability. (I am running RF2.5)

I'd rather not put out more money than I have to to get this working. I'm still a bit bugged about this issue from buying RF the first time, only to find out it wouldn't work properly in Lightwave.

RedBull
10-22-2006, 10:17 PM
There is now an unofficial Realflow forum.
http://realflowforum.trebre.com/index.php

The only problem i'm having is no 64bit LW Plugins....
for the 64bit version of Realflow... (doh)