PDA

View Full Version : Dongle causes Modeler 9.0 to crash constantly!

llongino
07-23-2006, 11:26 PM
Where can I find the latest drivers for the USB dongle? I've spent the past week trying to get Modeler 9 to run without crashing, trying every trick I could find on the forums, and finally tonight I thought to try it without the dongle and it ran just fine in Discovery mode. But stick the dongle back in, and constant crashing!

Is nobody at Newtek aware of this issue??? Seems like they could make this whole upgrade process much smoother - I've wasted a week now trying all these tricks, sending crash logs and etc to Chilton, waiting for a response from tech support, and all along this is all it was??? Could Newtek perhaps indicate this issue somewhere, like in the Readme? I searched the Flash help and it has NO info on this at all, I can't find any info on upgrading dongle drivers anywhere. Seems like the **** dongle just makes things difficult for those of us who've paid for the product. [You're kidding me - we can only say 'dahmn' with a British accent?!]

Geez, I get a Mac because I'm fed up with how unreliable Windows is.... then I upgrade to 9, only to feel like I'm running Windows again. AAAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!! It's a total nightmare!!!! Pinch me and wake me up!

Karmacop
07-23-2006, 11:35 PM
The dongle drivers for lw9 should be the same as the ones for lw8. Did the mac install come with dongle drivers to install? The pc one did. Have you tried using the -0 command to run withoutthe hub and see if that makes any difference ie on windows it'd be "C:\Lightwave 9\Programs\modeler.exe" -0. Have you tried removing your config files?

Chilton
07-24-2006, 12:29 AM
Hi,

(You beat me to it. I was going to come here and ask people to see if their problems went away in Discovery mode.)

Where can I find the latest drivers for the USB dongle? I've spent the past week trying to get Modeler 9 to run without crashing, trying every trick I could find on the forums, and finally tonight I thought to try it without the dongle and it ran just fine in Discovery mode. But stick the dongle back in, and constant crashing!

I just received your email about this. One of the reasons this is of great interest to me is that until now, I did not consider the presence (or lack) of a dongle to be a culprit. With this tiny bit of info, it changes a lot of things regarding how I will be looking into your issues.

Is nobody at Newtek aware of this issue???

Now there is.

Seems like they could make this whole upgrade process much smoother - I've wasted a week now trying all these tricks, sending crash logs and etc to Chilton, waiting for a response from tech support, and all along this is all it was???

While I'm all for blaming the other guy (the Dongle's author), I am hesitant to say it's their fault until I have a closer look at the problem. 1AM is probably not the best time for me to make such claims. Tomorrow I might say it's their fault though. You know, unless it's ours.

Could Newtek perhaps indicate this issue somewhere, like in the Readme? I searched the Flash help and it has NO info on this at all, I can't find any info on upgrading dongle drivers anywhere. Seems like the **** dongle just makes things difficult for those of us who've paid for the product. [You're kidding me - we can only say 'dahmn' with a British accent?!]

If we'd had these kinds of problems, we wouldn't have shipped 9 until they were fixed. However, now that I know this, I'll fill in the rest of the team, and tomorrow will likely be spent adding the dongle code into the debug mix, which might yield better clues.

Geez, I get a Mac because I'm fed up with how unreliable Windows is.... then I upgrade to 9, only to feel like I'm running Windows again. AAAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!! It's a total nightmare!!!! Pinch me and wake me up!

No comment ;-)

-Chilton

Chilton
07-24-2006, 12:31 AM
By the way, I do believe the install comes with two DMG files, depending on the dongle you have. Check there first, and install the updated version if it's there. And then let me know if that fixed the problem!

mrunion
07-24-2006, 07:00 AM
Don't forget that without the Dongle installed, you are in Discovery Mode (as you know), BUT Disc Mode DOESN'T run the hub. It could actually be the HUB that's failing. Try running without the hub and WITH the dongle and see if that's the issue.

avkills
07-24-2006, 10:06 AM
How do you run without the Hub? File syncing is really no big deal for me between layout and modeler (although it is nice).

The v9 DMG file comes with the latest Eve drivers for the dongles.

What is the SMD1.0.0.2 one for. I already have the 2.3.0 Eve driver installed, but what is other one for?

-mark

mrunion
07-24-2006, 11:59 AM
Start the app with a "-0" parameter and it should ditch the hub. I don't have a Mac so I can't really tell you "how" to do this exactly.

llongino
07-24-2006, 10:29 PM
Yep, I've removed all the config files scattered about. And how exactly do I run LW without the Hub? I'm on a Mac, not a PC.

As far as I can tell, the download is just a single dmg file called lw9.0.0_mac32.dmg - and within that is just an installer package. What updated version am I looking for to install, I just see this one download for OS X?