PDA

View Full Version : Mirror hierarchy

Neuroup
07-23-2006, 03:26 PM
Hello!
I have just one simple question. Why option Mirror Hierarchy can work wrong ??
I have character and i have good working bones hierarchy for left arm and it's work fine. But when i' making mirror ierachy for left arm on the right side bone hierarchy for right arm is not working fine ?? There are big diffrence beetwen left and right side but in teoria everything should working fine :(
What I'm making wrong ??

Bye!!

evenflcw
07-23-2006, 07:02 PM
You're probably doing nothing wrong. Your just using it how you would expect it to work. Imho this function either has some serious issues or it just doesn't do or work how most people (atleast you, ma and a couple of others) would expect it to. My guess is most people would expect it to mirror based on the parent items position and orientation of the selected hierarchy (which imho would make it usefull in many more situations) it instead seems to work only across major axises.

I recommend you use it just to get the clones out there, then edit the position and rotation of the base of the cloned hierarchy. It shouldn't be hard to figure out those numbers, just negate some of the ones of the original. In other words, fix it yourself. :)

You could also try the quick modification below which sortof wraps itself around the MirrorHierarchy function. Is this more what you expected? Mind you it disregards any settings and doesn't mirror goals or targets properly. This could be fixed via script aswell, but I wonder if one shouldn't just write ones own MirrorHierarchy function which is less restricted to start.

I hope NT\BT-team doesn't mind too much that I took the liberty, else I beg their forgiveness :cry:

Neuroup
07-24-2006, 05:21 AM
Hello!!
I just used this lightwave script and I must said that again is this same problem what I had. I had add a screenshots where you can see my drama :( Left arm is working fine and right arm is suxx. In theory left and right side is the same but on this screenshots there is diffrents in coordinates I used Modify/General/Coord System/Local but this option didn't help.
Maybe someone have any idea to solve this problem?
Bye!!

evenflcw
07-24-2006, 08:23 AM
Hmmm I guess I missunderstood completely what you where asking about, sorry. I'm acctually still not sure what you are asking about. You mention coordinate systems and show handles in the screengrab... I'm now lead to believe you would like the handles to line up as in the attached mockup image below? I'm assuming you want this so you could transform both sides manually at the same time and have one side mirror the other perfectly? If that's it,then I don't think that's possible, as the right hand side uses a completely different coordinate system (with an inverted z axis). You could perhaps use a motion modifier so the right hand side moves the way you want it to (no way to change how the handles look), but it would be a hack and probably more trouble than it's worth.

The idea of custom coordinates systems is cool though. I've thought about it at times and had even wilder ideas than just an inverted axis.

Neuroup
07-25-2006, 08:33 AM
Hello!
Thank you for help. In my last poses i want to have this same situaction as you had on this screen.
Mirror Hierarchy have bug and i'm sure of this for 100%. For Right Side of Arm i used a Record Pivot Pos and everything was ok and IK is working fine.
Here you have screenshots.
I must download Lightwave 9 full versiona and check Mirror Hierarchy is working good.
Bye!!

evenflcw
07-25-2006, 09:32 AM
ok, cool that you got it sorted. Don't think I was much help though. I can be more confusing than helpfull sometimes. :)

Cool chicken!

Neuroup
07-25-2006, 10:21 AM
I'm happy that you think that Chicken/Rooster for you is "cool".
Now I'm putting some texture on this Rooster :)